Gibson Brands Forums

Knob Change

Fadedepi

epi seems to use those amber knobs on everything sometimes.. and they don't match up with the other plastics or even the guitar.

Yours matches up nice.looks much better that way.

TWANG

TWANG,

Thank you, and I agree. I "HATE" those amber knobs, and as you pointed out, they're on every Epi model. I also tried a set of Black Top Hats with the silver V&T tops. ( like the ones that were on the Studio) Not enough other black stuff to pull that off. I like the Cream Fender knobs the best. Looks very classic too me.

Best, Faded....

Swoop,

You kiddin' me?..... You can have all the amber knobs I get. Every Epiphone I buy that has them, I change. That amber only works for me on a sunburst finish..... Maybe? As it was, like having a red car with that amber or gold interior.... YUCK!

Best, Faded...

Swoop' date='

You kiddin' me?..... You can have all the amber knobs I get. Every Epiphone I buy that has them, I change. That amber only works for me on a sunburst finish..... Maybe? As it was, like having a red car with that amber or gold interior.... YUCK!

Best, Faded...[/quote']

Not kidding at all. I think the amber knobs look great. It really depends on the guitar, but I think they look excellent on yours. I also love them on a Cherry dot. Black, silver topped knobs are a must on a Cherry SG though.

I also think that the amber knobs work ... MOST of the time!

They seem totally out of place on ebony finish guitars and especially on the trans-blue, but I have no real issue with them on any of the other colors.

That being said, there are lot's of choices out there and changing things like knobs, pup surrounds and pickguards are a simple and relativly inexpensive mod that will let you make your guitar your OWN. I like what you did with your beautiful faded cherry LP, Faded ... good job!

Jim

Good choice .... looks great !!! Yeah, am not a fan of the Epi amber knobs on many finishes, although they kind of looked ok on my honeyburst - still, I swapped them out for amber speed knobs, as I have short fat fingers that did not take well to the factory knobs' shape. And maybe it's just that particular shade of the Epi amber, it looks "cheap" to me .... just about every Epi I've seen with new knobs always looks better than stock. I dunno...

Yours looks great, faded !!!

The new knobs look great! I dont get the amber ones either. My EBM had the same knobs on it when I bought it new in 93'. The hardware is gold, but really didnt match. They came off the first day and I never looked back. I ended up putting on some silver-topped Rick-type knobs.

But yeah, the cream theme on that LP looks great.

Hi Jaime, welcome to the forum.

The knobs can just be pulled off. There are a few different ways to do this.

The way I do it is, I wrap a piece of string once around the shaft, under the knob, and then pull up. It may be a little hard to do, but move the string around and keep trying, it should come off. You can also use a piece of cloth.

Make sure the knob doesn't hit you in the face. They can come off fast sometimes.

Hope this helps.

That's funny, I have a sunburst that came with gold speed knobs, and my Goldtop had the ambers, I switched them around and they look so much better. I'm not a big fan of the tophat type knobs anyhow, I like the feel of the speed knobs better. Maybe my hands are too sweaty/oily to turn the tophats easily. But I must agree, I like the cream knobs much better for your LP. Nice!

Archived