Gibson Brands Forums

Caps. for my Elitist

Rexfordbridge

maybe it's time to re-think your entire non-guitar rig (cords to speakers and everything in between). Hope you find the tone you are seeking.

BINGO !!!

sometimes something as simple as a cable, tube, or speaker can make all the difference in the world in your sound.....

Not saying NOT to do the mods, just to think about the "big picture" before you do.

My goal is just to make this the best guitar that I can make it for little cost. (less than $100). My question is, because I truly don't have all that much experience, will replacing these parts on the guitar make for a better guitar? If I were to compare new parts to old parts, soundwise, would I notice a difference or is this just people talking? Pickups will of course make a difference. Caps seem to make a difference as well. Is this correct?

My goal is just to make this the best guitar that I can make it for little cost. (less than $100). My question is' date=' because I truly don't have all that much experience, will replacing these parts on the guitar make for a better guitar? If I were to compare new parts to old parts, soundwise, would I notice a difference or is this just people talking? Pickups will of course make a difference. Caps seem to make a difference as well. Is this correct?[/quote']

I really don't think you can make this a better guitar; it's already a quality, pro-level guitar. That's what some of us are trying to tell you. You can make it a DIFFERENT guitar, but that doesn't make it better. Don't replace things based on other people's opinions. Even among Gibson's various pickups, not everyone likes the same things. That's why they have a variety of lines of product. Your guitar has quality parts all through it. You can replace them, but you won't make it better, just different.

Cheers

Good Lord... next they are gonna tell you Gibsons are so good noone needs to replace the hardware, pickups and electronics ever.

Changing to a decent set of caps will give a subtle difference. It's minute, but it's there. I have absolutely no interest in spending 3-to-30 bucks if I could do with 5 cent ceramic discs.

I do understand that this guitar is "pro-level". I guess what it comes down to is that I want to work on the guitar. This will will make it a "different" guitar. It may not necessarily make the guitar better but I will know that the electronics will all be first rate.

As for the caps, I'm just going to with the Orange Drops as they are high quality and cheap.

I do understand that this guitar is "pro-level". I guess what it comes down to is that I want to work on the guitar. This will will make it a "different" guitar. It may not necessarily make the guitar better but I will know that the electronics will all be first rate.

As for the caps' date=' I'm just going to with the Orange Drops as they are high quality and cheap. [/quote']

Hey, there's nothing wrong with making changes because you like to work on guitars. I was just responding to your initial questions that sounded like you were wanting to make changes based on what you'd heard/read from others.

Enjoy that Goldtop; it's a fabulous guitar.

Cheers

I call placebo effect. [woot]

How many tone junkies does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

None - there are no vintage old stock lightbulbs.

...And never ever mention Santa Claus' date=' the Easter Bunny or the Tooth Fairy to those guys, or you'll [i']really[/i] have a fight on your hands:-"

Have you seen this thread? (Not that I expect it to change anyone's mind).

Very interesting. I applaud efforts to rationalise bull-teek. But that article sorta proves my point(not that I'm trying to make one).

He doesn't start out well...

The capacitor thing IS A MYTH. 1. Capacitor Doesn’t Contribute Much...

So' date=' It doesn't do much (on the whole I guess), but it does contribute [i']some thing[/i]?

One of the reasons why ceramics get a bad rap is because many of the Fenders come with a the 503Z.

No, Ceramic discs get a bad rap because they don't sound as good as a quality cap. The tolerance factor is a laugh.

Surely as someone stating "engineering facts" he has taken tolerance factor out of the equation?

3. Psychoacoustic effects - Anyone that cares about what something sounds like will be a tinkerer. I have chased my tail on many things. It is easy to convince your mind that a changed part will affect the sound of something. It is only natural and normal. I'd venture to say that some of the folks that think they can hear the difference in a particular capacitor type (capacitance value being the same) are of a breed of folks that are sensitive to various changes in the acoustic environment and have better senses than I do. I've never understood how anyone could have perfect pitch, but they exist. So, I have no disrespect to any audiophile. I'm just stating the engineering facts.

And there you have it. Because some people can't hear it, it doesn't exist...

If you want to throw numbers...I can do that too http://diyaudioprojects.com/mirror/members.aol.com/sbench102/caps.html

So now what?

What happened to not going by other people's opinion and thrusting your own ears?

(This is not directed specificly at you Harpboy) It's fine if you are a non-believer, but stop treating people like idiots because they can hear differences you can not.

Archived