Gibson Brands Forums

GFS.....anyone??

Figstrum

i think that's a good choice. i have my old gibbo alnico 2 magnets in some jackson pickups. they are great! i've also put some ebay alnico 2's in a stacked p90. the actual tone is what i want it to be, so i'm after more. i don't know if perhaps you have alnico v pups and lower them, by the screws, that you could get the same tone as an alnico 2? i haven't gone to town on that...

gfs are worth trying. you are getting pretty close to the original intended sound. i also have my variax to guide me on what to try next.[/quot

I did not consider lowering the pups. I am sure that will change the sound, but I am not confident that it will change it enough to an alnico II sound. Don't know muck about tweaking with the pups.

I did not consider lowering the pups. I am sure that will change the sound' date=' but I am not confident that it will change it enough to an alnico II sound. Don't know muck about tweaking with the pups. [/quote']

You should really take the time to properly set your pickups, or take it to a professional and explain to them what you want out of it. A pickup is much like a guitar in that if it isn't properly adjusted, you won't get the optimal results from it. You can also adjust it and it's position to bring out or push back aspects of it's sound.

You should really take the time to properly set your pickups' date=' or take it to a professional and explain to them what you want out of it. A pickup is much like a guitar in that if it isn't properly adjusted, you won't get the optimal results from it. You can also adjust it and it's position to bring out or push back aspects of it's sound. [/quote']

I guess I should do that. Thanks for the suggestion. My bridge is wound to a 13.something (JB) output and I think it is too bright for my guitar. Do you think lowering it will lessen the output. OR, will it just muddy the same sound?

Both. lol

Really, its a fine line. Lower it a bit and taste. Then go some more if need be. Match the poles to the radius of your saddles and go from there. Mix the strings until they are even or give the sound you want. You may be better off with a new PU, but tweaking the one you have may give you what you're after.

Both. lol

Really' date=' its a fine line. Lower it a bit and taste. Then go some more if need be. Match the poles to the radius of your saddles and go from there. Mix the strings until they are even or give the sound you want. You may be better off with a new PU, but tweaking the one you have may give you what you're after.[/quote']

Cool, thanks for the advise.

"does anyone know if they make something comparable to the burstbucker3?"

"BurstBuckers are offered in 3 different versions:

BurstBucker 1 (IM57A-NH) is slightly underwound, with medium 'vintage' output, and works well in both bridge and neck positions.

BurstBucker 2 (IM57B-NH) is wound in the range of Gibson's '57 Classic, with slightly hotter 'vintage' output than the BurstBucker #1, and works well in the bridge position with a BurstBucker #1 in the neck position.

BurstBucker 3 (IM57C-NH) is slightly overwound, with hotter output, and works well in the bridge position with a BurstBucker #2 in the neck position."

i think just call them the classic 2 from gfs. those variations in the gibson line might be a bit slim for me to notice?

• 2 months later...
Resistance values arent everything. Its the character of the magnet that dictates the behavior.

Just because the values are similar does NOT mean that they will sound similar. As long as the magnet types are the same then maybe you will get something similar. Its really toooo subjective.

Id go with the vintage blues Seymour Duncan set. Its a '59 in the neck and a '59 in the bridge.

I own the Classic II GFS pups. They are fair pups. They just dont color your tone as much as a Duncan pup does.

I wanted to get close to the Classic II vibe, and went with the GFS Classic II's as they are probably the closest to the SD Alnico II pros. I wanted a kinda mellow tone to the guitar. The only thing that I find weird is that the guy that installed them raised the bridge a whole lot. It looks weird to me but it sounds ok. Can anyone shed light into the reasons for installing a pick up so close to the strings?

Also, the neck sounds like it has too much bass.

GFS or Guitar Fetish has a WIDE SELECTION of Pre-CUSTOM-Voiced pickups, BELOW is a Pick-up I bought (less than $40.00 with Shipping to San Juan Capistrano, 92675!)

yhst-50206111187217_2084_3074756T

HERE is where It Was Installed! BELOW.....

PICT0185.jpg

S A "HOT HOT HOT" ...Vintage almost P-90 Growl...I LOVE IT!

My MAIN GUITAR is a 1998 (Peerless Korean Built) EPIPHONE EMPEROR-REGENT,2r55j6o.jpg with Stock Johnny Smith style Mini Humbucker, and when I swap Guitars I MUST CRANK GAIN to 0, VOLUME to 3, or the GFS NECK PICK-UP will GET ME A POLICE CITATION & A HEAD-ACHE!

(I Exaggerate!) But THE OTHER PARTS I ORDERED are VERY GOOD, ALSO...This is a STRANGE Head Stock on my EPIPHONE LES PAUL....It has EMG 81 & EMG 85 Pickups, and I NEVER SEEN THIS SHAPE in a EPIPHONE by Gibson...SHAPE is like the 1950's Epiphones with Alumunium "T" Screwed-on Plate...and the "EPIPHONE" Script, IN REAL ABOLONEY" is STRAIHGT ACROSS! Any Ideas???

http://i47.tinypic.com/2cxsqj5.jpg2cxsqj5.jpg[img]30wwewx.jpg[/img]

Well looking at the bridge pick up, it looks like it is correctly adjusted. The one thing that makes it weird looking is that the pick up plate/ring is smaller than the original pick up plate. The GFS pick up plate is not as wide as the original and that makes the bridge look like is it sticking out too much. I'm almost wondering if I actually received an actual bridge pick up.

Or, is this the way the GFS bridge pick up plates are? Anyone?

The Bridge Pickup is a EPIPHONE LES PAUL "PAF-STYLE" , and the NECK is GFS ...it was set up by a 50+ Year Guitar Tech, who always "Chews My Ash" out because I "JUNK" out my guitars...I am a PLAYER, not a COLLECTOR! To answer the question, I am not even sure what pick-up rings were used, in fact, I cannot remember if he just Dropped the Hum Buckers into the Original Rings...I regret to have made such a Negitave infection upon Guitar Fetish.

they are so many to try. i want a 2 more lipsticks and some neovins. for the price you can't go wrong. i wish they made some of the range they have as alnico but you do get a very close representation of the pups they are styled on.

I put the Neovin Power Rock set in my MIM tele, and wow what a difference. The output jumped and the tone is vastly improved over the stock coils. I was pretty impressed with the build of them too, much heavier and substantial than I was expecting. Probably the best $65 I ever spent on modding a guitar, and no reason to ever change them out again except maybe out of curiosity....

http://store.guitarfetish.com/pronenotepip.html

The Bridge Pickup is a EPIPHONE LES PAUL "PAF-STYLE" ' date=' and the NECK is GFS ...it was set up by a 50+ Year Guitar Tech, who always "Chews My Ash" out because I "JUNK" out my guitars...I am a PLAYER, not a COLLECTOR! To answer the question, I am not even sure what pick-up rings were used, in fact, I cannot remember if he just Dropped the Hum Buckers into the Original Rings...I regret to have made such a Negitave infection upon Guitar Fetish.

[/quote']

I'm sorry the post I made was referring to my new GFS pick ups installed in my LP. There is nothing negative reflected on GFS. I was just curious unto why a bridge would have to be set so high, as it was done in mine. Then I realized that the ring in the bridge was smaller than a normal bridge pick up ring would be.

What I would like to know is... If anyone that has purchased a bridge pick up through GFS has noticed that the GFS bridge pick up ring that comes with the pick up is smaller than what a regular bridge pup ring would be.

What I would like to know is... If anyone that has purchased a bridge pick up through GFS has noticed that the GFS bridge pick up ring that comes with the pick up is smaller than what a regular bridge pup ring would be.

Yes.

They ship "standard p_up rings" with their p_ups. Some guitars require higher bridge p_up rings due to the

different neck angle/fingerboard height and corresponding bridge height. They(GFS) are not going to know

in advance, what guitar the p_ups are ordered for. I've had to use the oem rings on a couple of my

Epi guitars, because the GFS rings were too low.

iirc their rings are shorter, not as high, as the Epi rings. For that reason I always use the OEM rings whenever I can, that way I know they will fit. I have purchased several sets of GFS pickups, but I have never tried to use their rings, I always put the Epi rings back on. I did purchase a set of flat black rings for an Agile Hawker that I recently purchased and they fit fine. They weren't a PERFECT fit, but they were close enough.

Archived