Gibson Brands Forums

Custom Knob Tips

wedgeSG

After reading fadedepi's post I decided to throw this out there for anybody considering knobs secured via setscrews.

First off, many pots have a split that runs vertical down the shaft. This is fine for splined knobs but throw a setscrew type on there and some nasty things can happen depending on its position in relation to the split. On either side of the split it's likely that you'll break off one side of the unsupported shaft. Set screw tightened into the split will probably result in a cocked install of the knob and either method will probably never be really snug and wobble free. So what to do? Stewart MacDonald sells a small brass sleeve that fits over the splines on a splitshaft pot and gives the set screw a uniform, soft but secure surface to bite into. This small tubing might also be sourceable at a hardware store and would be much less expensive if you trim it to fit yourself. Additionally I like to shave down a popsicle stick or a piece of a nylon zip tie to a sliver to fill the slot. Sand a section to a good fit thickness for the slot and then trim the outer areas with a sharp X-Acto. When filled and flush: slide on the brass, shaft-covering sleeve. With all this prep sometimes the silly things are still hard to get sitting level and parallel to the body. Here's how to handle that one- If the knobs need to be indexed or positioned - shut down/or open all the pots. Index postion should be away from you and start with the knob furthest away to maintain setscrew access. (Don't paint yourself into a corner) Place some pennies or dimes around the pot shaft, set the knob on the shaft using the coins to maintain equal distance from body, tighten set screw, remove coins, do next farthest knob. Doing a set of skulls or something with a non-flat base; use a combination of coins to level it out: say a dime under the jaw and a nickle under the rear of the skull. Sometimes a piece of paper under the coins is helpful as well, to further protect the finish and aid in removal after the knob is tightened into position. Took me a while to figure this out, I hope others will find it useful...

Wedgie

Archived