Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone beats Gibson

Little Ricky

I'm in the market for an Epi LP Custom and have only been drooling over the web versions so far, so I went out to try some last night. Most of the Epi LPs were okay, but I also tried some Gibsons, and they are so not worth the extra money, based on what I saw. Some may have just needed a simple set-up, but man, the difference was pretty stark, and even though I've heard people complain about this in some forums, I was actually surprised to see it in person. I also tried a Gibson LP with a blonde top which looked okay, but it was really too light, and the set-up was horrendous. Why don't these stores take a minute to set these guitars up? [crying] It would probably lure more people into buying them. It wasn't just that the Gibsons weren't soooo much better than the Epis, it was that they were actually worse!

ALL new guitars need a setup. Wood cures for up to two years after being manufactured. Ever notice a new guitar with fret sprout? That is because the wood has dried and shrunk. A new Gibson made in Nashville and shipped to the southwest US desert will need a setup. Things like temperature and humidity throw a guitar off. Getting a good setup is always the right thing to do. I would never trust a major guitar dealer's in-store sales people to do a setup. Take it to a reputable guitar tech and you will be good to go. Find a guitar that speaks to you and have your tech make it play. Replace the factory strings. "Shoddy setup" is not necessarily the manufacturer's fault.

I said the same thing in my "Unintentional a/b" thread, the 499 dollar Epiphone I tried was WORLDS better than the 2400 dollar Gibson Les Paul Custom (used), even with the schitty strings Epiphone uses. I just think for what you pay for these "high end" guitars, there really shouldn't be any issues, especially with something so stupid as a set up. I can honestly see why these Gibsons hang on the wall for years, and the Epiphones by comparison, are "marching out the door".

Archived