Gibson Brands Forums

Which pickup sounds better

haz102

Basically Epiphone has four different humbuckers. There's the 650R and the 700T (these are ceramic magnet pickups that are used in the cheap guitars, and are actually pretty good pickups). Then there's the '57 Alnico Classic and the '57 Alnico Classic Hot... in covered and uncovered flavours. HOTCH = Hot Chrome as opposed to HOTG = Hot Gold. HB6N = Humbucker six Neck and HOTHB8B = Hot Humbucker eight Bridge. Note that the uncovered PUs measure out exactly the same resistance as the covered ones. Most of the archtops (except the Dot Studio) will have two Classics while pretty much all the rest will have the Classic Hot in the bridge position.

Plus I think the original question is void as sound is extremely subjective

Anytime my fellow guitarist in my band goes on my guitar and amp, he messes with all my settings straight away

and totally changes the sound, he thinks it sounds better that way, I personally don't :P

Try to actually get your hands on and test drive both and choose which you prefer

I don't think the difference will be substantial personally

I stand corrected then.

So Ron' date=' the faded G400 and regular G400 have '57s? Am I understanding you correctly? How closely do these resemble Gibson '57s?[/quote']

Different names for the same pickups - confusing, I agree. I'm pretty sure the G400s have the hot bridge pickup. As for comparing them to other pickups, I really can't offer an opinion - it's a very subjective thing. They are shiny[biggrin] . What amp(s) are you playing though?

Different names for the same pickups - confusing' date=' I agree. I'm pretty sure the G400s have the hot bridge pickup. As for comparing them to other pickups, I really can't offer an opinion - it's a [i']very[/i] subjective thing. What amp(s) are you playing though?

I have a Vox Pathfinder 15R and a Blackheart Killer Ant Head. I modified the Vox so that I could disconnect the speaker from the amp section and plug in the Killer Ant head or vice versa. I fell into a deal on both amps on the same day and couldn't pass either up so I modded the Vox until I can build or buy a cab in the next week or so.

I have a Vox Pathfinder 15R and a Blackheart Killer Ant Head. I modified the Vox so that I could disconnect the speaker from the amp section and plug in the Killer Ant head or vice versa. I fell into a deal on both amps on the same day and couldn't pass either up so I modded the Vox until I can build or buy a cab in the next week or so.

IMO, an amp (or speaker) upgrade will yield much more than a pickup (or guitar) upgrade. An 8-inch speaker is, after all, an 8-inch speaker. And a Vox Pathfinder 15 is, after all, a practice amp. I'm not dissing your setup, I assure you; I'm just offering my opinion of the comparative merits of upgrades.

I agree with Ron. The greatest pup in the world will not sound very good thru a poor amp.

Another way to look at it is like this. If you get new pups, then you may improve the sound of that one guitar.

Upgrade your amp/speaker, and you will improve the sound of all your guitars.

IMO' date=' an amp (or speaker) upgrade will yield much more than a pickup (or guitar) upgrade. An 8-inch speaker is, after all, an 8-inch speaker. And a Vox Pathfinder 15 is, after all, a practice amp. I'm not dissing your setup, I assure you; I'm just offering my opinion of the comparative merits of upgrades.[/quote']

I'm not thinking of changing pickups, I just wondered what the similarities were between the Epi 57s and the Gibson 57s. I actually like my Epi as much and sometimes more than my Gibson.

As far as amps go- when I buy or build a cab for the Killer Ant I'll pick up a 10" or 12" speaker for it. The Vox can also be run through a cab which I've read makes a huge difference.

Both amps are pretty ideal for me, I play at home only.

I agree with Ron on the amp too. Lots of guys do like the pups in the G-400s' date=' get a descent amp first. Epiphone pickups don't come close to the sound of the Gibson Classic '57s.[/quote']

I like the pickups in my G400 just fine. I also happen to like the amps I have. My question to Ron was, how similar were the Epi pickups to the Gibson pickups which he answered.

I like the pickups in my G400 just fine. I also happen to like the amps I have. My question to Ron was' date=' how similar were the Epi pickups to the Gibson pickups which he answered.[/quote']

Actually, I kinda refused to answer that one, because it's a loaded question. However, member dcooper830 posted some interesting comparisons on YouTube. IMO, the differences are not as dramatic as some would lead us to believe. See for yourself.

Actually' date=' I kinda refused to answer that one, because it's a loaded question. However, member [i']dcooper830[/i] posted some interesting comparisons on YouTube. IMO, the differences are not as dramatic as some would lead us to believe. See for yourself.

I took your response to mean they were very similar in sound since you said "subjective"

Will check the videos later this evening-thanks.

Its about the sound you want...

In expermenting with my EPI, I went to Gibson 57 and a 58 Seyour Duncan..changed over the wire harness to a EPI Master series and pots from 300-500s...

The electronics are as variable as the pickups.

In General look at the output: over Ceramic more for Rock, even Fender uses them in some not so cheap units as well as Gibson. the 500 Gibson is a ceramic pickup....nice Alinco Vs or anything under 8..blues, jazz...and a good crunch for distrotion. Generally, the alinco's are cleaner. even the 11s.

There is much more to the sound than the pickups...much more as well as what your playing them through....

Archived