Gibson Brands Forums

Blueridge Guitars

Lord Summerisle

I saw a rather unusual guitar in an antique / junk shop tonight.

The headstock identified it as a "Blueridge." It looked to be quite old and had Grovers which had oxidized somewhat, and a fair few scratches on the back. Maybe it dates from the 1970s or 1980s? It looked like a well-played but looked-after guitar. Extensively played but not abused...On the heel was an inscription that seemed to be a limited edition number...81/190 (or something like that).

A couple of photos (sorry, these are truly awful snaps from my crappy phone's camera) -

blueridge1.jpg?t=1257387451

blueridge2.jpg?t=1257387475

The guitar plays beautifully. But I've never heard of Blueridge. At first I wondered if they were a local company (given that the Blue Ridge mountains are partly found in North Carolina), but a Google search tells me that these guitars are imported.

The store owner wants $350, which may be a little high? I don't know, I wasn't really looking for an acoustic guitar tonight. I was just bored while my wife was busy buying pottery we don't need.

$350 would be a good start towards a Masterbilt (for example)...or perhaps I'll go back and see if I can get the store owner to make a deal...

A lot of pickers like them, okay guitar from the few I have tried. With out a model number kind of hard to tell if its worth $350. but most of them sell for a higher price so could be a good deal.Its looks like a older (earlier ) model, the head stocks are usually more ornate.Ship

here a little write up for you. http://www.lonehand.com/blueridge_guitars.htm

and this is were they hang out.http://theunofficialblueridgeguitarforum18213.yuku.com/

You are right Red but the only difference is that those have the fancy ornate headstocks, and this one is plain and I have never seen a pickguard like that before on a Blueridge so it leads me to beleive that it is a much older model ( one of thier first lines )so until a model number can be found it's almost impossible to figure out which one it can be.Ship

You are right Red but the only difference is that those have the fancy ornate headstocks' date=' and this one is plain and I have never seen a pickguard like that before on a Blueridge so it leads me to beleive that it is a much older model ( one of thier first lines )so until a model number can be found it's almost impossible to figure out which one it can be.Ship[/quote']

For sure. I was just trying to say that Blueridge as a brand is pretty widely available, since LS said he hadn't heard of it before. I didn't think MF or any other online seller would help identify that particular model.

The forum you suggested could probably help. Good idea.

Red 333

Thanks guys. I may go and check out the guitar again, try and find a model number, and then take a look at the forum you mentioned.

The junk store gets most of its stuff from estate sales, and I could tell the guitar had a few decades' age to it. Unless it turns out to be a collector's piece or ultra-rare model, I think $350 is more than I am prepared to pay (especially as the junk store owner probably picked it up for $3.50)...

Looking through old copies of Acoustic Guitar recently, I saw a review of this guitar.They didn't think much of it-whereas recent Blueridge dreadnoughts gained rave reviews.I think it's way overpriced and you'd be better off looking for a recent Blueridge(or even an Epiphone !)

Oct 1993 Budget steel-strings under $500.Model BR-OS. $359 NEW! They didn't like the finishing' date='but liked the sound.It finished in the middle equal to a Sigma.[/quote']

Complain about the scratches, graffitti on the heel, and oxidized tuners... offer him $200.00 and let the negotiating begin. In MOST cases, antique dealers don't know from guit tars. To them, it's just another piece of furniture to adorn your rumpus room.

Shux, a new set of full sized locking Grover's will set you back $75 - $100.00!

Then there's the finish that needs work. Of course you will take an inspection mirror and flashlight to check for loose and broken braces. Also throw in a "compensated saddle material," and "nut condition and scale length."

And really, the strings are really not up to par.. and that pick guard. "I don't think that's original."

"Blueridge? Isn't that a Kmart brand?" vis. blue light special?

[drool]

Offer him a C note and a half.... See if he bites.

Oh, and make sure you get the case in the deal. He probably shoved it somewhere in the back room under the polishing supplies to get it out of the way. (Happend to me once. All I had to do was ask.)

Archived