Gibson Brands Forums

starter guitar

TWANG

The new LP / SG Express ?

The PeeVee Rave-Rig ?

depends how tall this 7year old kid is

Peter

I'd go for the Expresses over the PeeWee/Vee, as they are made for standard tuning rather than C or a or whatever it is the peewees use.

a 3/4 size is the right size. i bought a really cheap acoustic, 3/4 size, and it's great.! cheap basswood but great. the nylon strings are lovely and soft. i also play a 1/2 strat (my niece's pink one.) these ones are plywood! it sounds pretty cool through an amp.

the ibanez's look cool. http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Ibanez-GRGM21-3-4-Mikro-Electric-Guitar-Black/8QC

My 7 years old daughter is practicing with my old full size electric. I have to admit it has a smaller neck than my Les Paul Standard and there's some chord she can't reach yet but i do learn her all the chord i know she can. I did tune it half step so it's a bit softer for her fingers. For christmas i bought her a pink full size Squier Strat. She did chose it because of the color. At that age they don't really care of the sound but the color do.

I'm from the old school Twang. I think a young person should start on a

cheap, 3/4 scale acoustic. Why? Money for 1 thing. You can buy a small acoustic reasonably cheap.

It's my belief that they will learn to chord better and cleaner on an acoustic, because the strings

have to all sound, or it sounds bad; worse than on an electric.

If you learn on an acoustic, once you get an electric, it's real easy because of the difference in the necks.

Some may say that an electric is easier to learn on, and I can't disagree, but

I think a better skill set comes from learning on an acoustic. Plus the student will not have to lug an amp around to lessons or whatever.

And if they become disenchanted your capital outlay is not so great.

Gord I've really been going back and forth on this and it seems to me you've hit every point for the acoustic side.

I'm going to talk more to the Mom and see if I can give my best recommendation.

All these replys have helped.

I know we want to bypass the first act junky toy stuff for sure.

TWANG

twang, i fell for ya!!! i went cheap 1/2 scale electric for my 7 yr old and he now plays drums. kids !!!!. either way you go, i would go cheap just for that reason. the kid may not like it once they get practicing. if i had it to do over i would have went nylon. He loved playing and learning , but could not get pass the hurting fingers.

AS a drummer, he is doing very well.

....It's my belief that they will learn to chord better and cleaner on an acoustic' date=' because the strings

have to all sound, or it sounds bad; worse than on an electric.

If you learn on an acoustic, once you get an electric, it's real easy because of the difference in the necks.

Some may say that an electric is easier to learn on, and I can't disagree, but I think a better skill set comes from learning on an acoustic. Plus the student will not have to lug an amp around to lessons or whatever.

And if they become disenchanted your capital outlay is not so great.[/quote']

There's a lot of sense in this. You really don't know how sloppy you're playing on an electric when it's not plugged in...

Archived