Gibson Brands Forums

LP Ultra, Hypothetically speakin'...

tgifntx

Let's say a certain fool whom needed another guitar like he needed another

hole in the head...[cool] Purchased an '07 LP Ultra from a fellow forum member.

Great dude, By the way! And said guitar will arrive pupless, Which was

how it was, No problem. At any rate, I immediately started the process of... Oh

man, I know what I'll do - And wait no... Put these in it, Ya' know. I've had a bit

to think about it a little and given the fact that it's a chambered body has me

now thinkin', Hold up... This is gonna take a little more thought than just crammin'

pups into a guitar. All that silly stuff said, Wouldn't it make more sense to lean

toward a PAF pickup rather than a paint pealin' or too thin of a 'bucker..? In all

reality I'm probly over-thinkin' the whole thing...[biggrin] Sooooo, I gotta bleed on

the good folks here. If I didn't read it incorrectly the guitar came sportin' the

ol' Alnico V's. By all means, Any and all input here is greatly appreciated!!!

I think the chambered body will slightly affect the tone, but not enough to consider it a semi-hollow like a DOT or even a closed semi like the Luceille. I think I would make the decision just like I would any other LP.

My first choice, money is no object is Burstbuckers.

Seymour Duncans next, then maybe GFS.

Jeff

I think the chambered body will slightly affect the tone' date=' but not enough to consider it a semi-hollow like a DOT or even a closed semi like the Luceille. I think I would make the decision just like I would any other LP.

My first choice, money is no object is Burstbuckers.

Seymour Duncans next, then maybe GFS.

Jeff[/quote']

Thank ya' bud! I just want to make the first move the right one ya' know. See there, Me

thinkin' man... Danger-Danger-Danger[biggrin]

I'm not real certain what number Alnico pickup it is.

They are listed as Alnico Classic' date=' and Alnico Classic Plus.

All I know is that I'm real satisfied with my Ultra 2.

[/quote']

Gord, You're absolutely right. They were classics... I apologize there.[cool]

Read it right, Wrote it just some of that wrong. Cool, Glad you like your

Ultra II. I really like the looks of 'em...

Hi. I'm new here and I saw your post. I just replaced the pickups of my ULtra II, (which BTW, I chose to buy in a side by side comparison with a Gibson LP Studio), with a Dimarzio Super 2 in the neck and a Rockfield SWC in the bridge. Combined with the Nanomag this is the most amazing sounding guitar I have ever played. Over the years I have owned just about every famous guitar and aftermarket pickup out there and NOTHING sounds like my Ultra II now. I like hot neck pickups for lead and bright bridge tones and the combination I used for this guitar gives the most amazing sounds. In the middle position, it actually sounds like there are 2 guitars playing at the same time,. one bright and clear and one with coil tapping (I dont have coil tapping) and the combination is both bright like a bridge pickup and fuller like a neck pickup, but is still perfectly bright and clear with no muddy tones at all. With these pickups you can get any sound you want.

I highly recommend both Rockfield pickups, especially the SWC's. Mafia's are also OK, but if you check the sound bites on the website, the SWC's kick butt over all the rest, in my opinion. I like them so much, I'm thinking of putting a SWC in the neck of my EC50 and coil tapping it.

Oh, I was originally planning on using eithe a Dimarzio Super Distortion of Duncan JB pickup but changed my mind at last minute while in the store. Also, Rockfield pickups are only 50 bucks in the USA, thats a great deal for a screaming hot pickup.

Cheers

Byron

Hey byron-

Welcome... Glad you posted up. Yes sir, The Rockfield line are solid, quality

pickups. I'm always leanin' toward the DiMarzio's, (just personal preference),

and I've hands down decided to go with the Rockfield Mafia's. I'm hopeful I

don't open a whole nother can of worms in that they work against the chamber

design of the Ultra..? I really don't think there'll be an issue. Lookin' forward

to gettin' the Ultra in hand and get it to the tech to install the Mafia's. Should

be a real nice finished guitar.

I also checked out the Rockfield sound bites. They seem to have a pretty solid

lineup. If I was to go that way I'd probably end up with the SWC's.

They would suit the sound I try to get a little better. I can always add distortion.

Guest icantbuyafender
Hi. I'm new here and I saw your post. I just replaced the pickups of my ULtra II' date=' (which BTW, I chose to buy in a side by side comparison with a Gibson LP Studio), with a Dimarzio Super 2 in the neck and a Rockfield SWC in the bridge. Combined with the Nanomag this is the most amazing sounding guitar I have ever played. Over the years I have owned just about every famous guitar and aftermarket pickup out there and NOTHING sounds like my Ultra II now. I like hot neck pickups for lead and bright bridge tones and the combination I used for this guitar gives the most amazing sounds. In the middle position, it actually sounds like there are 2 guitars playing at the same time,. one bright and clear and one with coil tapping (I dont have coil tapping) and the combination is both bright like a bridge pickup and fuller like a neck pickup, but is still perfectly bright and clear with no muddy tones at all. With these pickups you can get any sound you want.

I highly recommend both Rockfield pickups, especially the SWC's. Mafia's are also OK, but if you check the sound bites on the website, the SWC's kick butt over all the rest, in my opinion. I like them so much, I'm thinking of putting a SWC in the neck of my EC50 and coil tapping it.

Oh, I was originally planning on using eithe a Dimarzio Super Distortion of Duncan JB pickup but changed my mind at last minute while in the store. Also, Rockfield pickups are only 50 bucks in the USA, thats a great deal for a screaming hot pickup.

Cheers

Byron[/quote']

Okay, I dunno know what it is with me and my closet enfatuation with Invaders, GFS loudmouths, and the Rockfield ****** pickups.

Its something about the huge pole-pieces, and fat bottom end.

I would just like to add my two cents saying that Rockfield is quickly turning heads. Mine included. Since they broke out on the scene i've been loving the ****** pickup. Its soooo good at 80's hair metal screams, yet it has progressive and modern bottom end with just enough midrange bite.

Oh my gibson pickups are giving me ugly looks...

Okay' date=' I dunno know what it is with me and my closet enfatuation with Invaders, GFS loudmouths, and the Rockfield ****** pickups.

Its something about the huge pole-pieces, and fat bottom end.

I would just like to add my two cents saying that Rockfield is quickly turning heads. Mine included. Since they broke out on the scene i've been loving the ****** pickup. Its soooo good at 80's hair metal screams, yet it has progressive and modern bottom end with just enough midrange bite.

Oh my gibson pickups are giving me ugly looks...

[/quote']

haaahahaahaaa... Yes sir, The Rockfield pickups are real nice. Man, For the

bucks too! Real hard to get around. The whole line are too sharp, Some tough

choices... As with all pup mfrs tho. They sure got it goin' their way. Figure all

of what has been mentioned and at a later point some real evaluations we'll

have a good idea as to what is what with 'em..? Somebody will try out the

"Turbos" and there you'll have it[biggrin]

Bender-

Yeah, I went thru the Gibby pups, The SD hotroded, Some DiMarzio choices too..?

I dunno... I'm gonna give the Mafia's a whirl and see what happens. But, You're

sure right about the Gibby pups performance!! We'll see what the hay. The ol'

get what ya' pay for ya' know..?

Thanks for the welcome Guys.

Trust me, get the SWC's, They are bright and clean and yet can still give ringing harmonic filled distortion tones that are amazing. I have not had any problems with the chambers of the Ultra and the high output pickups. I was told the chambers are sealed and wouldnt feed back and it has proven to be true. They sound a lot like Gibson pickups, from an SG or LP Standard(I've owned both). I can get the ACDC, Angus Young sound with virtually no trouble at all, just crank the amp. I find that they are remarkably like Gibson pickups, yet have a brighter, fuller, even more harmonically rich tone. But I can also get, Queen, Zeppelin, ZZTop, Ratt and any other sound I want out of these pickups.

I also like the Mafia's, but the sound of the SWC's on the website was too much to resist and I am soooo happy with my choice. Everytime I look at that guitar, all I can think is, "That was a great idea". Except, now I want another guitar with 2 SWC's, and another with a Super Distortion bridge pickup and an SWC in the neck, just to see what happens. Haha.

Byron

Yes sir, The Kelly has the SWC's in it now, (stock), and it's a skreamer!

Just recently loaded up the GT with the DiMarzio Air Norton/Tone Zone

combo. New pots, caps, wiring. She's a regular ol' tone monster!!

Yeah, It's purdy cool to mess with pup combinations... Sometimes it

turns out just some of that amazing. Haven't read a bad review on

Rockfield pickups yet, Purdy slick...

Archived