Gibson Brands Forums

Bigsby's on 335 style guitars (pics please)

Hey guys I am interested in getn another dot or a sheri, and wanted to see yalls approach on it, i know some people just leave the wholes from the stop bar exsposed, but i wanted to see what else was out there for this type of bigsby application, i noticed they made an adaptor for the sg do they make one for the 335 guitars? please post pics ideas and what nots thanks guys!

On my les paul I made an aluminum piece to cover the tail hole on the low e side, which looks like part of the bigsby.

and made a smaller pickguard bit for the high e side, too small to work aluminum there, and it's so small and hidden by the arm I

thought that was fine. see pics.

I'm looking to see if I saved any of the mock up pics for a dot with a bigsby.

but I also made a set of abalone dots.. to place over the holes.

other people have bought rectangular plates with 'custom' engraved on them.. from trophy shops I think. like bowling trophy shops.

It seems to me there was a vibramate for 335s.. I dont remember for sure.

pretty spendy I think.

nope.. just looked my dot with bigs pics aren't loaded.

when these pics were taken the aluminum cap was bigger.. I later made it smaller. this was a test shot.

elpstbid2.jpg

elpstbid4.jpg

here you can see the amount of hole it had to cover

epistbiD.jpg

Isn't there a Bigsby for the 335/Dot which uses the existing stopbar mounts ?

Seem to remember someone suggesting one either on here or on the Mylespaul forum.

Edit - Ignore the above - It was a B30 on a LP I was thinking of.

I'd email vibramate..

the thing is I don't think my .. well. hell I'll go see. what am I thinking!

pulls out chrome b70 bigsby holds it up to dot studio

nope semi hollows are way too big for that.

your bigs wont come up as close to the tail at all.

You'd have to try a b50 or b5..

with

Will Vibramate work on my carved top or arch top guitar?

The Vibramate V5 kit was originally designed for flat top electric guitars but will also fit most carved and arch top models.

worrisome part:

The back of the unit may appear raised depending on the angle of the top. Additional product designs are scheduled for mid-year.

I have an ES-335 style archtop guitar?

The Vibramate V5 kit will fit most 335 style arch top models.

and again:

The back of the unit may appear raised depending on the angle of the top. Additional product designs are scheduled for mid-year.

AND

Will Vibramate work with a Bigsby B50 or a B70?

NO. The Vibramate V5 is designed to work with the Bigsby B5 Original model vibrato only. The Vibramate V7 is designed to work with the Bigsby B7 Original model vibrato only. Other models may be available in the future

just put a b70 in there drill the hole and quit worrying and spending too much.

for godsake it's an epi. it's not a gibson.

If you think you're going to want to remove it. guess what? you're going to want to remove it, so don't put on one.

I wouldn't hesitate for one second to put a bigsby on an epi. and leave it there as a definate upgrade.

I can make you two round plugs that fit perfect and match your guard material.

just pay me to ship the dang things.

I'm really glad I put one on my studio. and I'd never dream of taking it off.

TWANG

If you want to use the holes, you could get a stetsbar... or that vibramate thing people are talking about... But i'd use the stetsbar... It travels further than the bigsby, and i think it's supposed to be easier to string...

EDIT: and the entire bridge mechanism moves, so it stays in tune a bit better than a bigsby for light bends... It CAN dive bomb, but dive bombing with conventional tuners and no locking nut WILL put you out of tune, even with a roller bridge and graphite nut... But the ability to dive bomb is a nice feature for a vibrato arm that doesn't require you to carve out a cavity in your guitar for springs...

Hey guys I am interested in getn another dot or a sheri' date=' and wanted to see yalls approach on it, i know some people just leave the wholes from the stop bar exsposed, but i wanted to see what else was out there for this type of bigsby application, i noticed they made an adaptor for the sg do they make one for the 335 guitars? please post pics ideas and what nots thanks guys![/quote']

Or you can snap up a current Riviera with a Bigsby already on it. I don't know anyone who has one who doesn't like it.

epiphone-riviera-p93.jpg

Or you can snap up a current Riviera with a Bigsby already on it. I don't know anyone who has one who doesn't like it.

epiphone-riviera-p93.jpg

Jeff check out my avatar........I all ready gots me one!!!! and thats why i want to outfit a dot with a bigsby becuase I absoulutly love the bigsby, I used to be only a fender trem fan but gosh darnet if this bigsby havn guitar hasnt changed my mind

Thanks. I've seen some pics guys have done leaving the bushings in the holes and covering them with round pieces of white pearloid, that looks nice too. I love my Bigsbys and I'm glad I put them on. I did another one on an Agile AL-3100. It had a trapeze tailpiece, which I really didn't like the looks of. But, that was one of the main reasons I bought the guitar, so I wouldn't have to deal with the tailpiece holes. Since taking this pic, I put a black metal jack plate on, which looks a lot better than cream. The guitar came with cream plastic and amber knobs, yuk! I prefer black trim on it.

I also put Wilkinson roller bridges on all three. I haven't broke a string on any of them since installing the Wilkinson bridges.

AL-3100RollerBridgebody1.jpg

Archived