Gibson Brands Forums

Pot recommendation for Mean 90

Grey Ghost

I just received my new pups, Mean 90's, for my epi es175. It's for jazz. There seems to be consensus that GFS pups should be coupled with 500k pots. Would 500k pots sound too bright for jazz? I personally like Jim Hall's p90 es175 sound, rich and full. Any recommendations? Also I would appreciate cap values.

i believe 500k pots are standard for p90. but, maybe you should have gotten the dream 90 for the jazz sound. I would figure the mean to be to aggressive. I put a dream 90 in my lp junior and it is more mellowed down than the seymour duncans i have in my tele.

the tele p90 measures 14k at bridge and 9k at neck

I would assume mean 90 is close to these numbers.

the dream are 8.4k and 8.2k.

everbody go pot happy with guitars sometimes. I put burstbuckers in my epi les paul and it sounds just fine, the stock ones are decent. if required a 500k and thats what you have stock just keep the old ones in, my tech said you only notice a diff. when you roll off the volume.

i believe 500k pots are standard for p90. but' date=' maybe you should have gotten the dream 90 for the jazz sound. I would figure the mean to be to aggressive. I put a dream 90 in my lp junior and it is more mellowed down than the seymour duncans i have in my tele.

the tele p90 measures 14k at bridge and 9k at neck

I would assume mean 90 is close to these numbers.

the dream are 8.4k and 8.2k. [/quote']

what city are you in ? warren here!

I have 500k pots with my Mean 90s.

They sounded a little too bright for my tastes, so I lowered the pickups a bit and they mellowed right out. Now they have the crystal clear highs that P90s are famous for without too much edge for the kind of music I play.

Insights and incites by Notes

what city are you in ? warren here!

Southeast michigan, near ann arbor.

ooops, ron g the seymours on my tele are 9k. I was gving the rating on the p-rail i have in another guitar.

It's amazing a .8 to.6 change in ohms makes such a hugh diffrence in sound,

I recently 'found' a used Epi Les Paul Studio that was needing a new home. Basically I have been looking for a set neck Junior (without using E-blah) but with no luck, anyway the original pick-ups are gone and I have an old PAF that I had now in the neck and a fat 90 at the bridge. Both are on 500k pots and .022 caps - the 90 is quite bright compared to the neck but works really well.

cheers

7C

Guest icantbuyafender

if you like jazz tones, you won't be dissapointed with CTS 300k pots. for caps I like orange drop .047uf in the neck. they give a deeeeeep yet silky and un-muddish sound. use a .022 for the bridge.

I would agree with CantBuyMeFender. If you want a quick approximation of a 300 meg pot solder a 1Meg resistor across the two outside leads of the 500K pot. The taper wont be the same but tonaly it will be quite similar. If you like it, spend the 4.95 on a 300K pot :-$

As for his cap suggestions I dont have any experience with a p90 in the bridge so I am keeping my mouth shut [blink]

Archived