Gibson Brands Forums

electric blues woes

Guest icantbuyafender1281734135

Guest icantbuyafender

man, I finally played with a drummer who is TOO strong. I have a layed back set.... mild tube derrived OD from a cranked single channel tube amp... not nearly anything to appease this power drummer. Anyone else had an open mic mismatch like this? :-

Find a good "Jazz" drummer. They know when to play all out, and when to lay back!

Too many "rock" drummers, are too used to trying to keep up with Rock Guitarists with

Marshall Stacks...or "wannabes"...LOL! The best drummer(s) I've ever played with, were

all "Jazz" drummers, who also liked "rock!" They love dynamics, as much as I do!

I always loved the fact that Ginger Baker (for example) could do all he did/does, barely

working up a sweat, and still keep up with Jack Bruce and Eric Clapton, volume wise. Great

"Chops" for sure...but, great "Dynamics," too...on all their parts!

CB

I've played with a few different drummers over the years, and the one thing

I can tell ya 'bout drummers is, "They Love To Hit Those Things!!"

It is a musician you want, not just a drummer. Someone who can play

all different kinds of percussion instruments, and understands dynamics.

I've played with a few different drummers over the years' date=' and the one thing

I can tell ya 'bout drummers is, "They Love To Hit Those Things!!"

It is a musician you want, not just a drummer. Someone who can play

all different kinds of percussion instruments, and understands dynamics. [/quote']

I know someone like that... His favorite instrument is the trumpet, but he also likes to play a les paul through a marshall halfstack... (gibson les paul and marshall mg halfstack...)

He can play his drums loud enough to keep up with a marshall halfstack... But is mindful enough to keep it quiet when the guitar is quiet... Actually, all of the drummers that I know who are younger than I am are like that. They just... know how to control themselves, unlike the 40-year-old midlife crisis bands that crank up the bass so you can hear it a mile away, and try to break their drumsticks every time they play, but turn the guitar and vocals down to barely audible levels...

man' date=' I finally played with a drummer who is TOO strong. I have a layed back set.... mild tube derrived OD from a cranked single channel tube amp... not nearly anything to appease this power drummer. Anyone else had an open mic mismatch like this? :)[/quote']

Don't do the open mic thing but do play with a variety of folks subbing out and all so I do know what you mean.

Yeah, you could talk with them if you are part of the group but when you just do a set with a heavy hitter here and the what's the point....most of the time is like the old saying about leading a horse to water.

When I meet with someone new I'll bring my heavier stuff just incase. As much as I hate them volume wars got to do what you got do to make sure you got enough on tap just incase....never a problem turning down then.

Micing yourself will help get you heard upfront but not much help on stage unless you got a way to pipe it back to you. Just got to come prepared unfortunately. It's a shame too cause it's such a simple fix...hard headed son of a guns:)

Guest icantbuyafender

haha and trying to talk to them for more than 5 seconds usually leads to them just saying "yeah ok" and continuing to beat the hell out of their kit.

drummers are an interesting bunch indeed.

Archived