Gibson Brands Forums

Goldtop.

jykiii

Is there an uncovered minihumbucker out there?[blink] I'm thinking about replacing my P90's to humbuckers' date=' but i'd really love an uncovered humbucker on a goldtop 56 reissue.[cool']

I've seen one before, but I can't remember what kind it was. I'll have to look it back up.

Depends on what you want to replace them with....I've been looking into replacing the P90s of my Les Paul Custom and there are various options. Check out the Dimarzio website, they've got a few humbuckers (Super Distortion etc.) which will fit. Not sure if mini humbuckers will fit in the p90 hole...#-o

^ I think you'll find it's the large humbuckers that don't fit the P90 hole. I think the mini humbuckers can fit the P90 hole, but if I remember correctly, most P90 routs are quite shallow and the bottoms are flat, they dont have the deeper routed sections on either side to allow for the height adjustment scres on a mini humbucker. I'm sure that could be rectified with a large drill bit though. You also need a plastic mounting ring that suits, not the flat metal ones that you get on a Firebird. One clever way I have seen it is to take the plastic cover of a P90 and cut the middle out of it so the mini humbucker fits in it, and this can be used as the mounting ring, if you dril a couple of holes in the cover, either side of the pickup, for the height adjustment screws.

Guest icantbuyafender

Mini's fit mine just beautifully.

I lucked out and was able to get my hands on some mounting brackets that will allow for both installing mini's and p-90s as easy as dropping in, soldering, and screwing them down with machine screws. Much easier than having to use wood screws to fix them to the body.

Check out my Goldie.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/icantbuyafender/GT.jpg

I vote to keep the P90's. I just got my goldtop a couple months ago for the p90's. I love those things. I love the look too - very vintagy[confused] Nice and clean when playing softly. Really growls when picking hard. I sold my les paul standard to get this too, because I still have a humbucker guitar with my dot deluxe. Now I've got the best of both worlds.

Archived