Gibson Brands Forums

THE Epi AlleyKat

ImerKat

Hey guys, I kno the allykat was discontinued and all but want to kno if anyboby out there has had there modded. Or just want to hear what you think of the guitar. how do you like the mini humbucker in it? just anything you have to say about it i would be happy hear.[blink]

I have one. Got it this summer. A fantastic guitar. You really get the best of solid and semihollow with it. The way the body is built is different than most semis. It starts out with a slab of mahogany that's hollowed out then the maple cap goes on. It doesn't feel bulky or delicate at all. You can go to town with it and not be afraid of tearing it up.

I have done some minor changes. I swapped out the bridge pickup for a BG Pure 90. The mini in the neck is wonderful. Its definitely a humbucker but you get a lot of overtones and harmonics with it. Its not the greatest mini I've ever heard but its pretty nice. I'll likely send it to Bryan at BG before long and have him work his magic on it and rebuild it for me.

The guitar itself is made really well. There are a couple of minor issues with mine. There's a slight dimple on the finish between the pickups and one of the tuners was installed just a tiny bit crooked. Not sure how that one slipped by but I'll fix that soon when I put in some Hipshots and a new nut.

Sam Ash still has some at $369 if they aren't all gone. Totally worth it.

It has become my number one for sure. I say go for it!

EG

I swapped out the bridge pickup for a BG Pure 90. The mini in the neck is wonderful. Its definitely a humbucker but you get a lot of overtones and harmonics with it. Its not the greatest mini I've ever heard but its pretty nice. I'll likely send it to Bryan at BG before long and have him work his magic on it and rebuild it for me EG

I did the samething with dimarzio bluesbucker (p90) and their hot minibucker but i ended up disappointed with the sound (sounded like a regular humbucker). Now this is what i want to hear; BG pick ups. What can he do? [biggrin] I had it rewired to parallel for more single coil like but lost the mini sound i wanted. I still have the NY mini that i was happier with to be honest.

Funny thing about the bikini headstock; Either you love it or you hate it lol

Has anyone seen those kat's with the "E" branded bigsby style bridge?

Archived