Gibson Brands Forums

How awesome is your LP-100?

Jessie Sammler

My LP-100 vintage sunburst is magic. It's Korean. I've put some money into it, but it's worth it. Bone nut, glued the neck, CTS pots, Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro bridge & '59-AII neck. It's just the right mixture of sweet and powerful. I keep it tuned down half a step so I can try G N' R licks, which I can't do to save my life. I love to play blues on the thing.

Show us your LP-100's, and tell us what you like about them.

P1010128.jpg

I had a LP-100 and sold it.

I think I listened too much to all these forums telling me it was a crappy guitar.

I missed it so much I searched for another and ended up buying a 1996 MIK.

Gonna get some new pups and a few other things, but I just love the weight and balance.

page10-1005-full.jpg

I've never played a LP-100 but I can honestly say I have had as much fun from my Special II as my 'higher spec' Epiphones. My Special II is practically stock (apart from a replaced tone pot - I pulled the shaft right out trying different knobs) it is the Wine red with all black hardware. Such a nice guitar, my son played it at a school concert once - no problems.

Big cheer for the 'lesser' models.

7C

I too would rather have a set neck. I don't mind a bolt neck on a Fender, because that's what they had, and it works. I guess I'm a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to guitars, so Gibson style guitars like the Les Paul, SG, etc, should have a set neck to be faithful to the originals. I also like trapezoidal inlays, body and neck binding, better tuners, etc.

Yeah I have heard the whole set neck thing.....lots of internet arguments over that also.

What if you thought of it as a odd shaped, short scaled, humbucker telecaster. Would that make it better? :-)

The key is not to think of it as a les paul, just because they call it one. It is nothing like my les paul guitar.

I like to play a guitar that feels good in my hands. I don't really care about the name on it,

or even how it's made. If it sounds good and I'm happy with it, then what everyone

else says is not too important.

It does seem like the "Name" brand guitars are most consistent in those categories though.

I would much rather spend $50 more an get an Epi LP Studio. You get a set neck' date=' and better tuners.

For just 50 bucks you get a MUCH better guitar IMO.[/quote']

Yeah they don't make those in lefty :-k

Curious where you can find the spec on the tuners.

From what I see it looks like they are all the same.

Mine:

96' Epiphone LP100 [MIK] Heritage Cherry burst ~ played it for 12rs already.... mostly GNR, Gary Moore...

- 1959 Gibson wiring w/ independence volume control.

- Stock pick up (wax potted). w/ 0.022uf (neck) 0.033uf (bridge)

- Digitech RP500

- Ibanez TBX 150R Tone blaster amp.

With this setup I can get close to Slash's tone... I'm really happy with the stock pickup after changing to the 50's wiring... love the tone... my 1cent.

Yeah they don't make those in lefty :-k

Curious where you can find the spec on the tuners.

From what I see it looks like they are all the same.

Studios, Standards etc, tend to come with Grovers, orVintage Kluson style tuners. LP100s, Specials, etc come with generic 'economy' tuners. They're not terrible, but definitely not fantastic. Grovers are pretty much the best non locking tuner you can get in my opinion, especially in 18:1 ratio form.

What if you thought of it as a odd shaped' date=' short scaled, humbucker telecaster. Would that make it better? :-)

The key is not to think of it as a les paul, just because they call it one. It is nothing like my les paul guitar.[/quote']

+1

Very nice point of view on the subject. Companies use the names for commercial purposes but let's face it, ''Les Paul'' name should be treated with more respect IMHO.

Not that the cheaper models are not to be respected. I have ended up the last month to pick-up my Epi SG Special quite a few times a week, although I have the Gibson in the case and can make some nice blues tones out of it. And I can't stop thinking about modding it. Some decent tuners for start and - who knows? - perhaps I will change pickups / wiring to make it fantastic one day.

Think of the Telecaster and the price that Fender demands for it. No set neck , which in itself is a pricey process, however, the Tele is always and will be the Tele!

The only thing that I find in common between cheaper editions of famous models and the originals are certainly the shapes. My SG has a tendency to lean in front and that's something that all SGs do, due to the placement of the neck. But, you always get higher fret access with the SGs.

Guest icantbuyafender

epi's grovers are only 16:1

they were recently released at musiciansfriend as a decent entry upgrade tuner for $40 a set. Epi does not use the heavy real deal rotomatics. biiiiig difference. Screw em anyway.... I like old klusson style, or the gibson modern tuners w/ metal keystone buttons. me no likey grovers.

I bought my LP-100 as my first non fender electric. I think it's great. I'm a lefty also, so choices are always limited. Could I have spent more, of course; are there better guitars out there, no doubt. In the end, I like it and will probably keep it. (That's not to say that at some point I might look at something better.....)

Played a couple LP-100`s the other night and thought they were great! In fact,i plan on getting one very soon. Just felt right to me ya know? And this is coming from a guy that owns mostly high end stuff. I have no problems with Epiphone,great stuff!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest icantbuyafender

tuners on the LP100 arent the same as the tuners on Jrs and specials.

the LP100 tuners are grover SIZED but just arent grovers.

The lower end tuners for juniors and specials are the worst.

Mine is bone stock and very awesome. I have about thirty guitars but the LP 100 makes it to practice quite often. I haven't gigged it yet, not because I wouldn't, but for fear of it getting messed up or stolen. It was my first Les Paul and I love it. Play yours and stop worrying what everyone else says. I collect and play old Teiscos, back in the day they were called junk too. Now check out some on EBAY.

Archived