Gibson Brands Forums

EJ 200 vs EJ 200 CE

FMajor7

I was wondering if anyone has had a chance to compare the EJ 200 to the EJ 200 CE.

I fell in love the CE last week while shopping .... I do like the cut-away look to it as well.

I was wondering if anyone can tell a noticable difference between the two (sound - wise) as I have not had a chance to try the version without pickups. I felt like it had a lot of volume, and the tone was very pleasing to me. The only other guitar in the shop that I really liked was a Gibson (not sure of the model), but it was twice the cost which put it out of my price range.

I have an amp which I will probably use from time to time, but my guess is I won't plug in as much as without. I have been playing mostly Oasis, Beatles and U2 stuff with some Depeche Mode songs thrown in to keep the wife happy.

Any input would be appreciated.

I tried both before settling on the CE. To my ear the non cutaway version sounded a little more rounded in terms of tone but only very slightly so. For me the improved looks of the CE (personal opinion I know) and the superb response from the shadow pickup system made it an easy decision.

I'm the other way, I have the EJ-200....not the CE. Awesome guitar, but I have found a lot of variance with the ones from China, the Indonesian ones always sounded the best to me. I put bone nut, saddle, and ebony bridge pins on mine and it is great.

Depeche Mode on Guitar? I'd like to hear that!! I was a huge DM fan back in the day.....

Hehe, 2 completely different answers ... love it.

Yeah jwalin Im loving the cut-away look as well ... I am leaning towards the CE as the price is the same but it includes tuner/pick-up. GOod to hear that you found the sound comparable .. I might say I do not have the most sensitive ear for these things .. but I am working on it.

As for responses like yours wiggy as to the quality and variance, Ill definelty be picking one out in person as opposed to ordering one .. I want to make sure its proper in all the right places. I dont know how much control Ill have in finding the same guitar made in different countries, but thanks Ill definelty keep that in mind.. I actually have a chart with the code/serial numbers guide for manufacturing site/country.

Thanks guys for the input. Any more would be great too!

Just like to point out that it was me who commented re the sound and jwalin who commented on the variance in qualty.

Mine is an indonesian one and the build and finish quality is perfect but I def agree you need to check out several to find the best one. When I bought mine I also looked at getting a Dove as well but when they opened the box (factory fresh and the only one they had in stock) it was the biggest POS I have ever seen - all the braces were rough and unfinished, soundhole was ragged and the fret ends were basically unfinished. God knows how it got through even the most basic qa inspection.

Archived