Gibson Brands Forums

Stop me

Gibson CS

Since this is your first paycheck' date=' let me give the best advice you will ever get... take 10% of the paycheck and put it away in savings ($33). Do not touch the $33 for any reason until you are old and retire. Do the same for every paycheck you get in your entire life (put away 10%), and you will retire richer than 99.5% of everyone you will ever know.

[/quote']

+1 Likely some of the best advice you will ever get.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
An Ibanez Jem is $2' date='200. That seems like a bit much for that guitar, there are plenty of other guitar I would rather have at a lower price.[/quote']

Pretty much the same thing I thought too.

An Ibanez Jem is $2' date='200. That seems like a bit much for that guitar, there are plenty of other guitar I would rather have at a lower price.[/quote']

The JEM jr is bout $500 or so I believe. Nothing comparable to the 777 except for the handgrip. Still a decent guitar for its price.

Ok Oilpit... At the risk of sounding like an old guy (but hey' date=' I am), you said two interesting things.

1. "first paycheck"

2. "convince me not to"

Since this is your first paycheck, let me give the best advice you will ever get... take 10% of the paycheck and put it away in savings ($33). Do not touch the $33 for any reason until you are old and retire. Do the same for every paycheck you get in your entire life (put away 10%), and you will retire richer than 99.5% of everyone you will ever know.

With the remaining $297, buy whatever you like... just buy good quality of whatever that is. Probably means you should wait a while 'cause you won't get much of a guitar for that.

Peace!

[/quote']

Already been done,

The original paycheck was $370

$37 is in my savings,

leaves me with my $333

I was checking out those HPs after seeing Van Halen. Very nice but a little out of my price range (for what I wanted). I'd ideally like an HSS configuration anyway.

Actually Eddie used a Wolfgang. The HP is a little different. Not much, but Peavey says its a better guitar.

The coils do split, and the single coil sound is very Strat like.

American made Peavey stuff is FIRST RATE.

I had an old Ibanez of some sort in 1982 for a couple months.

I'll admit I was a high school kid and didn't know **** about guitars, but I still remember it as a complete and utter piece of sh!t. One guy told me it was a $10 guitar with a $200 worth of hardware stuck in it.

It was a super Strat with a Floyd Rose and EVH stripes. To this day I refuse to own another Rose.

Had I taken the guitar to somebody who could do a good set up, I might have liked it a little more but every one I've seen or played in the 26 years since were the same pain in the ***. No thanks.

Give me a Bigsby.

I don't dive bomb when I play, so I don't need a Rose.

If I don't need a Rose, I don't need another high-maintenance pain in the ***, never-in-tune guitar.

My entire collection has several trems made by Bigsby, a Gibson Maestro and a PRS. I don't miss them at all.

No' date=' that's not a fact. I wouldn't say that mahogany and quilted maple are low quality woods.[/quote']

I think he just meant the quality of the wood in general. I have one of those SZ520s, there is a mock binding on the top edge, you can see a nice knot in the maple on mine. Lesser quality of wood. Does it effect tone? I have no idea, but the best quality wood is more expensive and isn't going to be found on a $500 guitar. You do get what you pay for in the end.

American made Peavey stuff is FIRST RATE.

I had an old Ibanez of some sort in 1982 for a couple months.

I'll admit I was a high school kid and didn't know **** about guitars' date=' but I still remember it as a complete and utter piece of sh!t. One guy told me it was a $10 guitar with a $200 worth of hardware stuck in it.

It was a super Strat with a Floyd Rose and EVH stripes. To this day I refuse to own another Rose.

Had I taken the guitar to somebody who could do a good set up, I might have liked it a little more but every one I've seen or played in the 26 years since were the same pain in the ***. No thanks.

Give me a Bigsby.[/quote']

I don't get it, what is up with Roses

some people swear by them others refuse to play them.

I don't get it.

Once set up properly, they are really a cool system.

If you are aggressive with the tremolo, doing dive bombs and radical stuff, they are a must.

They require more than just a passing knowledge, you gotta know the tricks involved with them.

There are small tuning knobs on the back of the bridge that must be used, because the strings are locked down at the nut and will not move. When restringing (and I'm out of my element here) you have to preset the bridge tuners to allow enough travel in them later.

Installing new strings is the FIRST pain in the ***, get the guitar in tune after you stretch the strings or whatever ritual you decide to follow, lock down the nut, and away you go.

The bridge position in relation to the guitar is critical, so any change in string gauge or tuning means resetting spring tension in opposition. In other words, choose your strings and favorite tuning and stick with it!

Change anything, you gotta unlock the nut, reset the bridge tuners, tune the guitar, check the bridge position, make required changes to opposing tension, retune, check intonation, lock the nut down again, and hopefully you didn't break a string in the process.

NOW, assume yours functions flawlessly (yeah, right...) and there are NO issues with your set up, you're ready to rock.

If you play alot, you'll be wanting to restring it in a few weeks so you get to start all over.

As I said before, I don't need a Rose so I'm not willing to put up with the headaches.

The guys that use them alot and know the tricks of the trade can make them work pretty damned good.

More power to them.

Hey just change one string at a time after you get it to float in the middle of its cavity it set and takes vary little with string gauge changes to keep it centered. Oh yea, nothing like no hang-in up nut problems and once tuned, lay her down for 4 months and pick her right up and its just where you left it, in tune. They always are in tune.

in order from best to worst guitar

LES PAUL

TELECASTER

STRAT

WHITE FALCON

FIREBIRD

PRS anything

SUPERSTRATS

my .02$

floyd roses, SUCK

because of thier tuning, if you can get em in tune, they wont stay, and they dont look good banging against your knees

In order from most to least favorite guitar

LES PAUL because this is a Gibson forum....

PRS, numerous models.

335 gets the top spot depending on my mood.

Rickenbacker 381 V69

STRAT

TELECASTER

Gretsch makes some cool stuff, I would prefer it was still in the USA

About a dozen other Gibson models

v

v

v

v

v

v

v

v

v

v

v

v

v

v

v

v

v

v

SUPERSTRATS of any kind.

Looks like we now have a grand total of $.04 in this telethon.

Floyd Roses SUCK indeed as far as I'm concerned. (Mere opinion)

Of course, I have several good friends who vigorously disagree with me on this....

i played a pre-fender jackson V, worth like 3 grand

[-(

not impressed

looked cool, alpine white, fast neck, but high action, and it sounded like a brick with strings

granted a highly distorted, high gain, mega suturated brick with strings

that feeback like a mofo

nuts

USA BCR/ USA CHARVEL OR A USA JACKSON

WOW THIS IS NICE' date=' I LOVE THIS THING.[/quote']

Never.

Picked up several, just not my thing.

I'm more into the traditional, historic electrics that CREATED rock n roll.

Sure, they're cool guitars. Some are VERY well made, they just don't move me.

And if it has a Floyd Rose in it, forget it.....

:-)

Agreed.

Trust me' date=' I don't believe anybody is shipping [b']"the finest American tone woods"[/b] to Korea.

You think these are tone/wood turds. Not any good, ha. In the 80's japan had some real good ash and alder let a-lone a wood that was only out there and now is long gone.000_1468-1.jpg

Very true 'Cuda. I know quite a few guys who've tracked down '80s Jap-made Fenders & upgraded the electrics in them because the wood & construction were good & the price likewise. I've heard similar about the build quality of the '70s Tokai LP copies. Good tonewood is not restricted to one country only 'nor is quality luthiery although I'll agree that most good guitars seem to come from the States (I'm excluding the boutique makers like Anderson, Lowden etc from the list). I'm sure Joe Satriani has a sense of tone & quality, it's just that Superstrats suit his style. If they're not for you, they're not for you. Personally speaking they do nothing for me, but that's just my personal taste.

Oh yes - alternatives: Try the BC Rich Mockingbird or Music Man Axis Super Sport (they even did one a while ago with a rosewood top). Good axes both.

Archived