Gibson Brands Forums

Opinions on these pickups...

Geetar_Axl

Sorry cannot help you there.

The vid is great because it takes the guitar out of the equation as all the pickups are in the same guitar. Just wish the noise in the background was not there. But the guy explains them pretty good.

Well I've never tried the 57s. I can comment on the 490R, 498T. IMHO they were too muddy,

they lacked serious sustain.

A few things come to mind in possibly curing those issues, the pots and caps. From the factory

newer Les Pauls come with those cheap ceramic caps wired in a tone sucking way (I'm not kidding).

Joining the volume and tone via capacitor devours alot of tone.

I ground my cap from the lug to the can, big difference, then join volume and tone with a wire.

The biggest annoyance with these pickups were the potentiometers. From the factory Gibsons have

B300k (linear) pots, humbuckers require B500k. The 500k will really open her up, sadly both those

things combined will not add to the sustain.

Possibly removing the covers will help.

Hope that helps.

Theres no such thing as a distorted pickup. Im being anal yet again.

Im lucky enough to be able to give opinions on the BB Pros & the 490/498.

My 490/498's are on my Custom, which because of its weight (10lb 5oz ) will make it

sustain for days under mid to high gain. These pups are hot. High output.

I really dont have a problem with too much mud. I can always make a tone adjustment

via the amps gain knob, or simply picking with a lighter touch.

For a Les Paul Custom these are the pups of choice.

My Standard has the BB Pros. They clean up nice, and have the ability to get a nasty, sweet snarl if you choose

some high gain. I call it a 1970's classic rock sound. Not as high an output as the 490/498's, but they fit the

bill perfectly on todays Standards. I love these pups. Gibson did a great job when designing them.

The 57's/ 57 Plus Vs. The 490r/ 498T. Can the 57's get a hot tone like the 490s?

Also' date=' how are these BB1 and 2's that are in Reissues. I just want opinions on all of the above.[/quote']

Why, you gonna mod your Gibson Axl? Your Les Paul??????? The epitome of perfection??????? Stick with whats in it, and be happy.

In my experience the best way to get good tone from the pickups is to have a lower, or normal output if you will, like '57's or a 490R/490T combo. I have always found mud gets created with higher output p/u's. This was true of single coils for me too, to some degree.

Drive the amp using it's volume, not the pick-ups.

I've done a number of trouble shooting sessions with some metal players, and rock players, all who said that they couldn't get a clear sound from their guitar. In every case the pick-ups either being to close to the string, or too hot caused the problem. I always took my guitars ('57 loaded and 490 loaded) so they could compare to hear the difference before we changed the pick-ups - and in case it was something else. Every one is happy(ier) with their tone now, and sticking to 'regular' output pick-ups.

LEAVE THE PICKUPS ALONE!!!!

If you want distortion, get a pedal - any pedal.

You need GOOD pickups for good tone, you can get distortion from any pickup.

Seriously, the 57 Classic Plus would be the only logical choice if you REALLY wanted to do a swap.

I've got the 490R/498T setup in my Les Paul Supreme and GOD IS THE TONE SWEET...

It's a lofty, airy signature "Gibson tonality". Words really don't do sound justice, I know.

It just seems to sing, is the best way I can describe it. It's not overpowering yet powerful. It's crisp, rich, and defined. I've never tried the 57s (which I believe are "hotter") or the Seamore Duncan's so take that for what you will. But I assure you the Alnicos are very nice.

Archived