Gibson Brands Forums

Laney CUB10 - The answer to my small tube amp prayers?

Swoop

As many of you know, I'm in pursuit of a small tube combo amp that I can easily put in the car, and take with me to a mates place for a jam, or wherever. Been down the Valve Junior route and was totally unimpressed. Looked at Bugera, but they fall apart, and nobody in this country stocks them anyway. And BlackHearts, BlackStars, and other similar little tube combos are just too expensive here for what they are, even though they meet pretty much all my requirements for size and portability.

I think I may have found my answer though. The Laney CUB10. It's a 10W all tube amp with a 10" Celestion, yes that's right, a Celestion speaker. I'm a fan of Celestions, and that's a good power output and size. The power stage is a proper push/pull tube configuration, not single ended like most of these little tube amps. And the best bit is the price, just $400NZ. That's half those other amps I mentioned earlier!

http://www.laney.co.uk/show_prod.php?prod=CUB10

It's also a pretty smart looking little unit too. And at just over 8kg, it's pretty light, so it ticks the portability box. I think this could be it gents! It gets the thumbs up from me in pretty much all areas. It doesn't have reverb, but I'm willing to forgo that given that it meets all other requirements, and there's always a pedal for that if need be.

What do you guys reckon? Anyone had any experience with these, or other Laney products. I've never come across the CUB series until now, so I guess they're a relative newcomer to the small amp market. They also have the CUB8, which is probably a VJ or BH5 competitor, 5W single ended wth an 8" speaker. The CUB10 is more up my alley though.

Archived