Gibson Brands Forums

Which Epi is this?

TNFrank

That does kind of look like it. Any major issues with this guitar? Is it pretty solidly built? From what I read it looks to be all laminate, I was really wanting at least a solid top. What is something like this worth in decent shape? Thanks, for the reply, hope to hear more info.

I got a reply back from my e-mail and was told it has "FT-105" and "#39" on the tag. That's confusing' date=' never heard of an FT-105, I really wonder if they ment FT-150. [/quote']

That model was one of the first Epiphone Japanese imports that arrived in the states in mid/late 1971. Originally it was called the "6830E" and that was changed in 1972 to "FT-150". Along with the change in nomenclature, the machine heads receivecd chrome-plated metal knobs as the original stylized plastic knobs tended to break (I can attest first-hand to that having owned a 6830E since they first arrived). They are fully-laminated with a bolt-on neck and have a proclivity for structual problems at the neck/body joint. They were originally an Aria model introduced in 1969 that was superficially modified to be sold as an Epiphone. Not the worst guitar ever made but also not the best. $250 seems a bit high to me... <$200 is more like it. By the way...I once had my heart broken by a young lady from Crossville but that was many years ago and I'm almost over it by now lol. Good luck.

Larens

Thanks guys for all the info. I looked at a Masterbilt AJ-500 today and I totally love that guitar. Open back tuners, matte finish, NOT a Dread, great tone and nice action. The guy at the local shop has it listed, new for $399 which is $100 cheaper then Musician's Friend has em' for, of course I know MF will deal with ya' a lot too.

I currently have a Recording Kind RO-06 with case that I'm trying to sell so I can get something more "vintage". The little RK 000 is nice and all but the gloss finish and sealed tuners just don't do it for me anymore. I need something that looks like the guitars from the '30's and that Masterbilt was awesome.

I guess I'll pass on the FT-150, just doesn't sound like what I'm looking for. IF anyone here wants to give the guy a call and buy it please feel free but I want that AJ-500. Anyway, talk to ya'll later and thanks.

Archived