Gibson Brands Forums

New Nut for Joe Pass

Hi

Has anyone replaced a nut on a Joe Pass Emperor II?

I want a pre slotted something like the

Graph Tech Trem-Nut 1/4" for Epiphone

I have found printed that it is suitable for a Epiphone Sheraton but no mention of the Joe Pass

both the Sheraton and Joe Pass have a nut size of 1.68"

so would this nut be suitable for a Joe Pass? Just want to be sure.

Eh..

It would probably fit as well as any pre slotted nut, maybe better than most, maybe not. Wishy washy. Factory nuts suck even worse on da eppies. That's the first thing I do, rip off da nut and slap a bone on there.

How handy are you? If the answer is "not very handy", then you're better off supporting your local repairman. A custom made nut tailored to your guitar and playing style makes a guitar shine. One of those,"don't know what your missing" things, once you have a perfect nut, you won't go back. You just can't get a good fit unless someone does the work.

Hi Musikron

I am handy and meticulous, lots of patience.

Live out in the countryside of Sweden and the one guitar store in our local town, I would not trust them with the job.

Have never set a nut before.

Also, I do not have any fine tools.

Maybe I should invest, what would be the basic tools I would need:

Nut files

Various grades of sandpaper

Feeler gauges

Quality adhesive, hide glue or something similar.

Also you seem to be saying bone is best.

Can you get black bone nuts?

I want to keep to the same colour as the original if possible.

Found the link below on the net, I am going to research, get some tools, and get this job done.

"Replacing a nut"

Can't get black bone to my knowledge, tusq makes a black blank though. I recommend un bleached or "vintage" bone.

You will need a set of gauged nut files, home made or bought. A pencil, tite-bond glue (elmers will work, you want to use as little adhesive as possible, dilute 1part glue 2 parts water and use that.) Perhaps a small saw, and a bastard file.

Archived