Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar for beginner?

emo59

I'm a beginner. I am looking at a Masterbilt after going many times to Guitar center to hold and try many guitars over a couple of months. I love the feel of the epi Masterbilt series. I really was drawn to the EF-500 CCE, it is a cutaway and cedar top. Now everything I read online, really pushes a spruce top as a sure bet. Is a cedar top a good choice for a beginner? I like the EF because of the wider neck. ( large fingers) And it sounded f-ing great!!!

waiting for some wisdom,

Eric

I have a DR-200CE Epiphone acoustic that I bought used for $100 and it is great. If you are looking cost-conscious, then they DR-200CE's are an option. Seriously mine is good enough that I use it to record with. And at $100, I don't mind taking it out to camp-fires, outdoors, etc. I always buy used because there it is so much cheaper for a guitar with 99% of its life left. Just a thought, but if your heart is set on a masterbuilt, get a masterbuilt. You are the one who will love it every time you play it.

Thanks Hungrycat' date=' actually my initials not my taste in music. I hauled a 20 ft Airstream through TN and stayed in Murfreesboro. Tn is beautiful. The state parks are dirt cheap, and super nice and clean.[/quote']

Well then. Carry on having initials.

Eric,

Welcome, I am fairly new myself, been playing for one year. To me how easy a guitar is for me to play, how it feels in my hands (and how it sounds to me are probably the most important considerations. How easy to play includes how well it stays in tune, how far up the neck I can easily fret notes or play barre chords (action), and can I play it comfortably both sitting and standing. How it feels in my hands includes how easily I can get my fingers around the neck to fret low and high string notes for chords at the same time, the width of the neck and and the distance between frets. How it sounds is related to playing the type of music I enjoy most.

It's good that you have been trying different guitars. Spruce over cedar is like cutaway or not. It's a personal preference. You'll get those who like spruce and those that will only use cedar. So, it's about what YOU like. That's the one to get.

Sheila

Go for the guitar that has the sound and feel that pleases you most after all you're the one who'll be spending years with it.Any Masterbilt is a great choice.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Archived