Gibson Brands Forums

HNGD!

lpfan

Hey I just got a Squier Mini Strat in black for my daughter for her Christmas present. There is only one problem, she likes the colr pink so Santa is gonna make it happen. I just need some advice on what to do. I want to paint the body a sparkle pink color. I don't want to strip of the paint if I don't have to. Can I lightly sand the clear and apply paint or do I need to use primer then paint? I need some guidance please. Also what paint should I use? I will have to get it from either lowes, wal mart, or sherwin williams. And what kind of clear coat should I get? I don't know what types are compatible. I want a thick durable clear coat to withstand the abuse of a 2 year old. Yeah I know starting early but she loves guitars and I will encourage it for as long as I can. Thanks for any advice and I'll post pics soon.

lpfan:

My only experience with finishing a guitar was with a Carvin Bolt kit, which was color stained, then about 12 coats of nitrocellulose laquer (instrument laquer). This would be overkill on your daughter's strat, but I would still recommend taking it down to the bare wood, applying the base color, then clear coating for protection. Don't forget pics after she sees it! :-

Anyone else have any other ideas? I open to all ideas except buying another guitar.

I have an idea, but I'm not sure how difficult it would be to actually do it...

Would it be possible to just slip the guitar into a sort of furry pink "sock", so that it looked like those fuzzy guitars ZZ Top sometimes play? That way, you wouldn't have to alter the guitar itself, and maybe the fur would sort of act as padding, which would make the guitar a bit safer for your daughter. (By the way: Very cute picture of her with the SG!)

as far as poly goes the recommendation is to spray over it. the bare wood here may be ply... i have 2 half size guitars and they have a lot of that clear sealer before the paint but you can see they are ply. i think a light sanding some primer (if needed.) and a few coats of paint and maybe clear stuff on the top will be a good job done.

Would it be possible to just slip the guitar into a sort of furry pink "sock"' date=' so that it looked like those fuzzy guitars ZZ Top sometimes play? [/quote']

I remember seeing adverts years ago for just that kind of thing, a guitar sock that would give some protection to the guitar body and kind of "dress up" the guitar with some graphics. I checked around a bit and couldn't find any for sale; I don't think they were popular.

In addition to or in place of the pink stickers idea, a pink pickguard would look good on the black body. Because of the non-standard mini guitar size, you'd have to have one custom made by our own Twang or a company like Terrapin guitars.

For more info on refinishing the guitar, here is an excellent site:

http://www.reranch.com/basics.htm

LP, you should sand down the top coat to the paint. May even be able to use a liquid sander (get at a hardware store). You should use a primer for two reasons. First, it's black going over pink. That kind of color change requires a primer. Second, you want a good adhesion to the guitar and a good primer will help for those areas that you did not get all the top oat off of. Don't be afraid of the sanding. It'll take a bit of time, but wil be worth it.

The painting will take more time for a good finish. Have you ever done this before? make sure ALL of the sanding is off of the guitar, and paint in a clean environment. If the humidity is too high or too low, it will effect the finish.

Keeping in mind that a 2 year old will be using it, make sure that you do put a solid finish coat over the new paint.

Krylon makes a great spray-on, and they do have ballet slipper pink.

http://www.krylon.com/products/indooroutdoor_paint/

They also have this brush-on that is safe for kids toys, so if she gnaws on the guitar . . . [blink] in pigtail pink.

http://www.krylon.com/products/color_creations_kids_colors/

Any good quality enamal paint will do. The spray paints are just easier for those without the experience in fine painting. Remember, be patient and do many thin layers, not thick. Be patient and let completely dry between coats. Oh, and be pateint!!

Good luck. And yes, we all want pics of her showing her first HNGD by 12/26!!!

Sheila

2 yeard old!!??!!

I was going to say that we have the Squire Affinity Strats at GC in pink ... but now I see why you went with the mini!

I bet she's adorable. Please try to post a Christmas pic of her with the guitar when she gets it!

Jim

There's actually a Squier Mini Strat in Pink if you like Hello Kitty:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-Hello-Kitty-Mini-Strat-Electric-Guitar-512078-i1167425.gc

Of course it's $49.00 more than the regular ones.

A couple of afterthoughts.

If using the spray paints, buy five cans of paint from the same lot#. You may only need three, but to be sure always over buy - you can return the ones you don't use.

I'd also recommend this as a top coat to any krylon paint you use. Nice! And easy, too!

http://www.krylon.com/products/triplethick_crystal_clear_glaze/

Also, she's agirl, and all girls love things that sparkle. Consider useing a coat or two of this!

http://www.krylon.com/products/glitter_spray/

Hippie - Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate your concern, I never thought about that. Does she recommend anything? BTW I am going to put several coats of clear over it so it will be durable. Will that help to protect her from the lead, etc. or should I just abandon the project?

Archived