Gibson Brands Forums

String Change Advice

Thawk Dean

A while back I got my first git. I've had it for about 7 months now. It's a PR350E. I got it for what I thought was a GREAT price because the e-pickup was not working. At the time it didn't matter to me because I never intended to go "plugged". BUT, things change and I want to repair the pickup. I noticed a loose wire laying in the body that I believe should be attached to the output jack. I'm ready to change strings so decided that it's a good time to work on the wire. Here's my dilema: I read up on changing strings and the article recommended against taking ALL the old strings off at once because of a potential neck problem with all the tension taken off. They recommend changing one string at a time. If I do this, it doesn't allow me the ability to get at the wire with as much access as I could get without the strings. My plan was to take off the strings, unfasten the output jack, pull the wire and jack out through the sound hole, reattach the wire and reverse the process with new strings. BUT, with a PR350E and the way the neck is attached, will I be in trouble???

Thanks,

Dean

Dean,

Hi. My first two guitars needed new strings right away so I got the baptism of fire for string changing. I have followed the suggestion to change one string at a time and one set of strings on one guitar per month. Two of my guitars, needed repair (one bridge repair to the John Lennon sig and one neck repair on the Kay) beyond my comfort zone/knowledge and I was referred to a luthier/musician who owns a local guitar store. After the first few times of changing strings I got comfortable with the process. The Kay came without any strings and I tried to keep the tension relatively even when putting new strings on. In other words I put all the strings on very loosely at first then slowly added tension. In that case the neck was already separating and I didn't know how playable it would be. It turned out that the action was too high for anything but a slide so the first thing the luthier did was cut off the new strings I put on to do the neck repair.

Don't know if I would try removing all strings at once, even now when I feel comfortable with changing strings. I don't know much about the specifics of guitar pickups and wiring but based on what I know about electronics it may be a problem other than a loose wire. Others more experienced than I may be able to better help with the pickup question. I hope this helps.

Hi Dean,

You will be fine if you take all the strings off at once. string tension would only really affect flimsy, old, non-truss-rod guitars, and it's a problem the big companies have pretty much solved long ago, but people still think happen a lot more than it does. If you are really concerned, i recommend taking each string off, then the opposite string as well. so start by loosening the two E strings, remove, then work your way towards the D and G. so long as you don't take all the strings off, put your guitar in a sauna for two months, then try to restring it, you'll be a-ok.

good luck!

Thanks everyone......the weather up here in northern Wisconsin isn't very nice today. It looks like a good day to work on the git. No one here has led me astray, yet. I think I'll start by removing the #3 and #4 strings first to see if I have enough room/clearance. Then I can work my way out if I need more access.

Dean

Well..............the job is done. No problems encountered. I loosened all the strings as evenly as I could before taking them off entirely. I was able to get the jack/plug out the sound hole and resolder the wires back onto it. I found the gray wire was actually a core wire with wrapping (coaxial). The restringing went well also. I restrung it with D'Addario EFT16 Light (.012-.053) Flat Tops. My coach has them on his '65 Gibson and I loved the mellow sound. I now have that sond on my Epi. I love it. Now I just need to find an amp to see if my repair was successful. I'd use one of my coach's amps, but he's on a vacation/road trip for the holiday and won't be home for 2 weeks. I think I'll just head down to the nearest "candy shop" with my git to see what they have that I can try out.

Thanks again everyone for your help and guidance.

Dean

Archived