Gibson Brands Forums

best sounding el84

blindjimmy

Hello everyone, keeping in mind that " best sounding " is completely subjective, which el84 do you think sounds coolest, what are the tonal characteristics of different brands, does one feed back better than another, brighter/darker,

breakup into distortion.... of course, i am refering to the sound of these tubes in a vj, under reasonable or somewhat normal conditions, bias, voltage... thank you all !

Hey Bilnd Jimi,

w/o getting into extensive discussion of new old stock and detailed info that is available with a bit of research out there on the subject on the web imho the best and most reasonably priced EL84 you could go get for your EVjr is the JJ - it'll tighten up the bottom end and give a much more refined detailed focus to the chimey high end than similarly priced tubes like the Electro Harmonix, Sovtek or Mesa's stock tubes : )

I've tried JJ's, Sovtek's and RI Mullard's, and I never thought I'd see such a night and day improvement just from just a tube swap, until I tried the New Sensor Genelex Gold Lion RI EL84's. Tight bottom, harmonically rich, and punchy. Really "made" my Valve Standard. And under $40 for a matched pair at The Tube Depot.

Archived