Gibson Brands Forums

I want you all to hear my Les Paul

Robert2

I think it looks great. I do love me a Les Paul in a nice burst with some open coils. Not convinced on the sound either I'm afraid. It certainly wails, but I can't say I found your video particularly interesting.

If you like the Epiphone, thank Feline Guitars of Croydon, England

The neck isn't set.

I'm done for 2009, guitar project wise.

And this Epiphone needs it's neck re-fished/sprayed.

New binding on the neck is required also.

The wood must set from the repair in October.

Sometime in 2010 I guess for that.

And this guitar to feel like what it should.

IT'S NOT MAHOGANY, btw, the guitar, just incase anybody assumes Mahogany. (Like I did.)

It's "Alder Wood", like something Fender might use...

Or so i've been told. :-k

Hey, Robert ...

That guitar is certainly a looker ... nice work on all the modding you have done so far!

As far as your videos are concerned, I have a feeling that the general consensus is that you tend to rely a bit too heavily on the distortion. You gotta remember that there are a lot of us "old farts" in this forum that still appreciate the thick, sweet sound of a Les Paul without all the overdrive.

Personally, I think you have some chops. I'd love to hear you give it a go without hitting the "talent button" (effects, distortion, reverb, etc) quite as much. Let's hear what the great axe can do ... we've already heard the pedals!

Best of luck and congrats on the beautiful guitar!

Jim

KILLER sustainnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Oh wow' date=' thanks, you know, it's funny how you should talk about my sustain 'thank you' as it's a big part of my playing... Sustain, it's why I like Les Pauls.

Even though the sustain comes from the player, not the guitar, I still think Les Pauls sound fantastic.

And my guitar really does look cool, it's true. they are great fun to look at.

But, I've actually made 2 videos to show case sustain and bends and solos and bending over backwards ect...

[center']

default.jpg

How can I improve my sustain?

default.jpg

Bends[/center]

Hey Robert' date=' don't fret too much about what people said about your playing, I say play how you want to play with the sound you like best and just have fun [smile']

Exactly!

I actually read once that other guitarists used to make fun of Robert Johnson.

He just practiced until he could blow them all away...

Exactly!

I actually read once that other guitarists used to make fun of Robert Johnson.

He just practiced until he could blow them all away...

My philosophy is to practise and show them all...

Show them all! muahahahaha - lol

Erm... The legend of Robert Johnson meeting the devil is cool.

Oh wow' date=' thanks, you know, it's funny how you should talk about my sustain 'thank you' as it's a big part of my playing... Sustain, it's why I like Les Pauls.

Even though the sustain comes from the player, not the guitar, I still think Les Pauls sound fantastic.

And my guitar really does look cool, it's true. they are great fun to look at.

But, I've actually made 2 videos to show case sustain and bends and solos and [b']bending over backwards ect[/b]...

A little constructive criticism here:

Spend more time practicing your bends than bending over backwards. You obviously really like to play and there is definitely a love affair going on with your guitar....that's a good thing. Keep practicing, learn some scales and spend more time perfecting your chops than working on your moves.

Sustain most certainly comes from the guitar with some help from a good fretting hand. With a good guitar you can feel it in your belly unplugged, that is the test of a good sustaining guitar. Just try it out on a few different guitars, unplugged, next time you are at a music shop. I'm certain you will hear and feel the difference.

Good luck and be patient, it will come together in time.

• 10 months later...

Archived