Gibson Brands Forums

adding pickup to LP Jr

oldtimer1281734191

Oldtimer, you have to ask yourself if you have the necessary skills for such a mod. Realize that what you are contemplating is substantially more difficult than changing a set of guitar strings. Have you successfully done wood routing and wiring on a guitar before? It would be a shame if that nice sounding/playing Epi ended up a mess. If you don't have experience in those areas, it would be best if you had a luthier add the neck pickup (it'll cost some money) or sell the guitar and get one with two P90 pickups already installed. I you feel that your Epi is "just a cheap guitar that I can play guitar builder with and toss out if I butcher it", we don't want to hear about it. We've seen examples of guitars that have suffered greatly at the hands of enthusiastic, but inept owners. It ain't pretty...so respect, please.

Any recommendations on PU selection? Electronics?

DB

CC Rider pickup

As for the electronics' date=' I used the stock Gibson pots, and added a switchcraft pickup selector switch.

Hey Duane, can you repost the link to the fabrication video of the LP Jr upgrade? I can't find it by searching.

Thanks, Brian

Brian

Unfortunately I had to remove my images and other links that were hosted on my mustangmods site, which was hit with a virus so those threads have been pretty much removed of the images and links.

I do have the images, but I still need to host them to my photobucket site.... I'll do it when I get back in town..

CC Rider pickup

As for the electronics' date=' I used the stock Gibson pots, and added a switchcraft pickup selector switch.

Brian

Unfortunately I had to remove my images and other links that were hosted on my mustangmods site, which was hit with a virus so those threads have been pretty much removed of the images and links.

I do have the images, but I still need to host them to my photobucket site.... I'll do it when I get back in town..

[/quote']

I too would like to see your photos. I see that you did not choose to install separate volume controls for the pickups. That would save some steps.

The part I am particularly curious about is the sideways drilling from the neck PUP to the switch and bridge PUP.

Dan

Oldtimer' date=' you have to ask yourself if you have the necessary skills for such a mod. Realize that what you are contemplating is substantially more difficult than changing a set of guitar strings. Have you successfully done wood routing and wiring on a guitar before? It would be a shame if that nice sounding/playing Epi ended up a mess. If you don't have experience in those areas, it would be best if you had a luthier add the neck pickup (it'll cost some money) or sell the guitar and get one with two P90 pickups already installed. I you feel that your Epi is "just a cheap guitar that I can play guitar builder with and toss out if I butcher it", we don't want to hear about it. We've seen examples of guitars that have suffered greatly at the hands of enthusiastic, but inept owners. It ain't pretty...so respect, please.[/quote']

If you don't want to risk messing up an $800 Gibby LP Jr., get an Epi LP Jr. for $89 (Black Friday doorbuster sale at Guitar Center) and practice the job on that. That's my plan anyway. I'll have to switch the Humbuker out for a P94 and get a CC PUP, add a new bridge and tailpiece, and get new pots and a switch. If that goes well, then I'll do it again on a real Gibson, and sell the Epi, or give it to a deserving beginner...

If you don't want to risk messing up an $800 Gibby LP Jr.' date=' get an Epi LP Jr. for $89 (Black Friday doorbuster sale at Guitar Center) and practice the job on that. That's my plan anyway. I'll have to switch the Humbuker out for a P94 and get a CC PUP, add a new bridge and tailpiece, and get new pots and a switch. If that goes well, then I'll do it again on a real Gibson, and sell the Epi, or give it to a deserving beginner...[/quote']

Let me know how it goes for you. My Epi LP Jr was used when I got it on a swap. I have since bought an Epi LP Standard but I have been using the Jr to learn fret dressing and for carrying back and forth to church meetings and practice. I don't think I will change out the bridge. I just miss the availability of the neck pickup when I need a different tone.

It is fine for what it can do now. But if I can get an idea of the cost and effort required to upgrade it, I might go ahead. How do you expect the P94 to change the sound?

If I read it right you're thinking of dropping a neck pickup in where there isn't one at the moment. Obviously you need to be able to sink a hole for the pup, so you will need the tools and the skills to make a cavity with tidy 90 degree sides and the precise right size so that a pup surround covers the edges. There's not a lot of room for error.

You also need to route the wires from the new pup to the switch and/or pots, and earth. The easiest place to put the selector switch is by the pots, where there's already a cavity. In that case you only need to solve the puzzle of creating a tunnel to connect the 2 pup cavities together.

A compromise would be to make a custom pickguard to surround the new pup and cover an open channel to take the wires down and underneath the bridge pup. If you have the skill to fabricate a pickguard from sheet, or adapt a different style, it would cover any mess you make of the woodworking.

Oldtimer' date=' you have to ask yourself if you have the necessary skills for such a mod. Realize that what you are contemplating is substantially more difficult than changing a set of guitar strings. Have you successfully done wood routing and wiring on a guitar before? It would be a shame if that nice sounding/playing Epi ended up a mess. If you don't have experience in those areas, it would be best if you had a luthier add the neck pickup (it'll cost some money) or sell the guitar and get one with two P90 pickups already installed. I you feel that your Epi is "just a cheap guitar that I can play guitar builder with and toss out if I butcher it", we don't want to hear about it. We've seen examples of guitars that have suffered greatly at the hands of enthusiastic, but inept owners. It ain't pretty...so respect, please.[/quote']

No better place to start on a a cheap guitar. An epi junior fits the bill IMO

oldtimer, get to homedepot. They have the dremel router attachment for 24.95. (cost on line, store will match) Then get to www.stemac.com and order the routing template set. ( i did not find the templete for the toggle switch , still looking), oh and buy a dremel if you do not have one. Have fun!!!!!!

I have a lp jr and i was thing of what you want to do. I would love to turn it into a 3 pup guitar with 4 pots control.( 3 vol and 1 master tone). But for now just getting tools. I have played it alot and practice with it the most. I take it with me when i travel and to most of my lessons with my techer. it is starting to show signs of wear ( lines in paint on back and dings) so, it is quickily becoming a candidate for my next step in guitar mods/rebuilds.

I will be honest. IF this is your first mod of any type, i would wait on the one you are attempting, until you build skill up( and confort level with tools) first.

Have Fun!!!!!!

The part I am particularly curious about is the sideways drilling from the neck PUP to the switch and bridge PUP.

Dan

get your self a 18inch long wood drill bit. (not sure on the dia of bit .5 inch maybe) you will need to see if you can use the same path as the one drilled for the bridge. I have not checked my jr, but it maybe the same path the epi would use for all their lp's, but just stop at the bridge for the jr. at least that is the thought. you will need to check the route path against your other lp.

oh, and from what i believe the route is drilled from the jk to the toggle.

I would consider a Gibson P94 but on that guitar I would leave it alone

Why not a P90? Actually I have not thought until now about going single coil. Is there any reason I could not keep my HB bridge pickup with the P90.

Maybe I can find a used one at MusicGoRound or Craigslist. I am not going to invest big bucks on this guitar. I would just like to make a fun guitar more fun!

Dan

oldtimer' date=' get to homedepot. They have the dremel router attachment for 24.95. (cost on line, store will match) Then get to www.stemac.com and order the routing template set. ( i did not find the templete for the toggle switch , still looking), oh and buy a dremel if you do not have one. Have fun!!!!!!

I have a lp jr and i was thing of what you want to do. I would love to turn it into a 3 pup guitar with 4 pots control.( 3 vol and 1 master tone). But for now just getting tools. I have played it alot and practice with it the most. I take it with me when i travel and to most of my lessons with my techer. it is starting to show signs of wear ( lines in paint on back and dings) so, it is quickily becoming a candidate for my next step in guitar mods/rebuilds.

I will be honest. IF this is your first mod of any type, i would wait on the one you are attempting, until you build skill up( and confort level with tools) first.

Have Fun!!!!!![/quote']

My son bought his son a cheap guitar to modify with a floyd rose bridge. Before I could tell him about Stewmac templates he tore into it with a router. It is not too bad looking but they didn't realise the critical aspect of precision placing etc.

I already have a dremel, I think. It has been a while since I have used it. Thanks for suggesting the router attachment. I was looking at my Epi LP Standard toggle switch. Would it be possible to get a hole saw for a drill at the correct diameter?

In any case, I would definitely practice on scrap wood, and have a full plan before starting.

Dan

You guys have more skill and tools than I do. Just the thought of what I call "blind" drilling, through that much wood, and hit the target on the other end with any accuracy, would definitely challenge me! [biggrin] Now the routing thing with the dremel, just so happens my full blown dremel kit has a routing attachment that I've never used. Now with the right template placed accurately, with mechanical stops in the right axes, I might could handle that. [confused]

Would it be possible to get a hole saw for a drill at the correct diameter?

Dan

you probably could' date=' but you will still need to route out the material to the correct depth. not to mention the control cover plate width. The router is your best choice. it will give depth control which is the main thing to worry about!!!![confused

Why not a P90? Actually I have not thought until now about going single coil. Is there any reason I could not keep my HB bridge pickup with the P90.

Maybe I can find a used one at MusicGoRound or Craigslist. I am not going to invest big bucks on this guitar. I would just like to make a fun guitar more fun!

Dan

I don't see why not. You will like the P90. But unless you have the skills to do it RIGHT I would have a good tech do it for you.

Archived