Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - '02 Epi Vintage G-400 WC

5er driver

I finally broke down and got myself an SG type guitar. I never had one, always wanted one, saw this one on the fleabay, and got it with a case for a good price. I didn't know till it arrived that it's an '02 model from the Unsung plant in Korea. Apparently the seller didn't know it either because he didn't advertise the fact and didn't capitalize on it. I thought I was getting a current model from China and was intending to upgrade it with new electronics & pups. On a scale of 1 to 10 it's condition is a 9.5. Nothing's been changed on it and sounds great even with the stock pups. I cleaned it up, oiled the fretboard, strung it, set it up, played the sh*t out of it for a couple of hours, and am really impressed by how it sounds and plays. It is real neck heavy though, something I'll have to get used to. But I've read that most SG type guitars are neck heavy. I don't think I'm going to upgrade anything on it until parts start to fail. The pots aren't scratchy, the switch is fine, the tuners are fine, etc., etc. Do you suppose the SGs from the Unsung plant in 2002 had veneer on the bodies? This looks to be solid, but then I don't have the best of eyes anymore. I looked closely in the pup & electronics cavities and couldn't tell because the cherry stain runs about a 1/4 inch down into the cavities.

DSC02022a.jpg

DSC02032.jpg

DSC02033.jpg

Excellent score, looks to be a great example, not too stripey in its finish like a lot of them tend to be either. The G400s do indeed sound fantastic with stock pickups. Probably one of the best bang for buck Epi's you can get, especially when you can find like new examples such as this.

The neck binding does indeed look great.

Thanks Dudes & Dudettes,

I played it again yesterday about 3 hours, I just couldn't put it down. I've got an Epi LPC, 2 Squiers Strats, and a Fender Custom Shop Strat that were cryin' to be played as well but my I couldn't let go of the SG. I A/B-Y with a Fender Twin Reverb and a Marshall SL-X and was getting heavenly tones. The edges of the pics are a bit jagged, if you copy them onto your desktop and open them there they'll look normal.

I bet she sounds great through the Twin!

I've spotted a faded SG that looks nice, another beautiful Korean example like yours. Gee there's been some nice looking guitars for sale online locally recently.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=255188497

Not keen on the pickups, but the rest of it looks great. It actually looks quite glossy. They all tend to come up like that with a bit of a wipe with some polish to keep 'em clean, and with regular use. Still looks in great nick though.

I do like me a faded finish. I have been in the market for a portable little amp, but I'm thinking that, when I have some extra cash, I might have to get back into the Les Paul game with one of the current, limited edition, Les Paul Standard Mahogany Models. I love the faded finish, but I love the price even more, just $900NZ!

I finally broke down and got myself an SG type guitar. I never had one' date=' always wanted one, saw this one on the fleabay, and got it with a case for a good price. I didn't know till it arrived that it's an '02 model from the Unsung plant in Korea. Apparently the seller didn't know it either because he didn't advertise the fact and didn't capitalize on it. I thought I was getting a current model from China and was intending to upgrade it with new electronics & pups. On a scale of 1 to 10 it's condition is a 9.5. Nothing's been changed on it and sounds great even with the stock pups. I cleaned it up, oiled the fretboard, strung it, set it up, played the sh*t out of it for a couple of hours, and am really impressed by how it sounds and plays. It is real neck heavy though, something I'll have to get used to. But I've read that most SG type guitars are neck heavy. I don't think I'm going to upgrade anything on it until parts start to fail. The pots aren't scratchy, the switch is fine, the tuners are fine, etc., etc. Do you suppose the SGs from the Unsung plant in 2002 had veneer on the bodies? This looks to be solid, but then I don't have the best of eyes anymore. I looked closely in the pup & electronics cavities and couldn't tell because the cherry stain runs about a 1/4 inch down into the cavities.

[img']http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s199/5erdriver/Musical%20Instrument%20Stuff/DSC02022a.jpg[/img]

DSC02032.jpg

DSC02033.jpg

Man I had been bragging on my Vintage but OMG that thing is Gorgeous with a Capital G!

It doesn't look to be veneered and you can see the seam a bit off center but WOW. Nice Score!

Unsung Korea is about the best of the builders for Epi outside Japan

What a beautiful guitar!

I jusr bought an older cream white Korean Samick SG type last week, and I want a red one lafter seeing yours. Tell me it sounds great, too....

Maybe by February or so I can go shopping again, catch the mid-winter slump at music stores and pawnshops.

Enjoy it - it's a beauty!.

mark

That sure is a pretty baby and a fabulous deal.My 1st Eppy was a G400 Custom and that started an Eppy Buying frenzy (4 more in a 2 month period.)The Eppy SG is as someone else posted one of the best bangs for the buck around.I use a 3" strap on mine to compensate for the poor balance,that helps a bit.

---------------------------------------------

Archived