Gibson Brands Forums

My pickups go Splat!

Rexfordbridge

I have a 2008 Elitist Epiphone Les Paul Standard. I was comparing it to a Gibson Les Paul 2009 Standard yesterday and I noticed quite a bit difference in the sound. There was little to no definition on the Epiphone guitar. Everything sounded quite muffled. Can a pickup replacement fix this or is this an overall guitar difference? I prefered the sound/clarity of the Gibson pickups.

Yes new pups can do this. And they don't even have to be Gibson's.

But before you do that, try lowering and raising your pups using the adjustment screws. You can also do this with the pole pieces. This can have a significant affect on the sound/tone of your guitar.

You didn't mention what amp you were using. This is also important to consider. Did you use the same amp for both guitars when you were comparing?

Was it a Standard or a Standard Traditional? The Standard has a chambered body that will contribute to a difference in tone and it has Burstbucker Pros. The Standard Traditional has a weight relieved, but not chambered body and has a '57 Classic neck pickup and a Burstbucker 3 in the bridge.

The Elitist Les Paul Standard has the 60R/50T pickups, which I've often heard compared to the Gibson 490R/498T (I've read some speculation that they may in fact been the same).

I have the 490R/498T combo in my '97 Standard and they are certainly not muffled or lacking in definition. The most frequent criticism that I've read of this combo is that the 498T is too hot for the traditional creamy LP tone. That said, in my opinion they're a good set of pickups for heavier rock sound.

Depending on how and what you play, the burstbuckers or 57s may have more character and blossom in medium and lower gain situations, but if the pickups in your Epi are actually "muffled" it makes me wonder if there's another problem. Did you use the same amp and cord with both guitars?

Archived