Gibson Brands Forums

Do you buy new or used guitars?

Naradien

Hey guys, basically this is self explanitory. I see you guys have a whole bunch of them guitars, so do you guys buy them used or new? Another question is...Are mini humbuckers good?I've been looking at lots of guitars ( I have gas), and was wondering about the firebird. What are the differences between normal humbucker, and mini humbucker? Thanks

I try to stay on top of the current value, then when I find a deal that gets me a guitar for less, I'm on it.

I've purchased new guitars and sold them for a profit. You gota know the going price and get a good deal.

Mini hummers are good, but a bit brighter than full sized buckers. Run em thru a good Tube amp (I'm partial to the Blues Deluxe) and they all sound good!

Most of the real tone is in your fingers. Les Paul made a 4x4 sound good.

Both depends on the guitar and what I'm gassing for? Lately Ive been buying new because I like a lot of the new gibson coming out. And even with some of the issues some people are having I think the new ones coming out right now especially the R's and custom shops are some of the nicest guitars they have ever made. same for the acoustics coming out of Montana.

I can't figure out some of the problems people are having like CudaMax and the black studio BFG we bought the same guitar within day's of each other mine was even a scratch and dent or whatever you call the opened ones from a internet dealer and it's fine in fact no issues of any kind the finish was a little sticky for a few weeks no clouding or marks though and now it's fine at all even gigging with it. I've seen the pics of Cuda's and I'd be aggravated as hell

Axe you still have the 185EC that's probably my favorite acoustic I have a quilted maple that is my main Acoustic and a custom shop Koa because I have a thing for Koa that I just can't get over :D

Mostly new. I don't have an aversion to used guitars (I own four used and seven I bought new), but there aren't too many places near me that sell good used gear except for a Guitar Center and I prefer to support my local shop.

Once upon a time' date=' all I ever bought were brand new guitars. Funny how I don't own one of them anymore. Even the strings I buy now are used......ok, I'm not THAT poor. :D [/quote']

I am.

i have four guitars. two were bought new...

1987 sg special

2008 strat

two used...

1988 alvarez acoustic (1991)

2003 tele (2006)

i prefer new guitars because they are truly your babies.

i bought the two used guitars since i knew i'd be the second owner and their misfortune was my fortune.

the acoustic was actually a trade for rent since my roommate needed to pay for college classes.

the tele deal was "my wife said it's me or the guitars." i got a nice deal on that.

i will buy a brand new les paul unless, well some owner would have be to desperate before i'd buy a used les paul.

Left it out of my first response but one of the primary reason I will buy new is the warranty especially on acoustic or a hard played LP a lifetime warranty to the original buyer has some real value.

Now that won't stop me from picking up somebodies closet stored pre-war acoustic or early LP =D>

It's a mix.

Probably 50/50 for me over the years, but they were ALL damned nice or I wouldn't have bought 'em.

Let's see if I can remember...

Gretsch Lap Steel from 1959 - used

Kustom K-200 from 1968 - used

Peavey T-40 Bass from 1979 - used

Peavey T-60 from 1980 - used

Fender Strat new in 1993

Gibson SG 12 string from 1995 - used

Danelectro 59 DC RI from late nineties - used

Fender Strat HB built from all new parts in 2006

Fender Strat P-90 built from all new parts in 2006

Guild Starfire III from 2000 - used

Gibson Les Paul Classic new in 2001

Guild Blues 90 used in 2003

Gibson 335 new in 2002

Fender Tele new in 2005

Rickenbacker 381 V69 new in 2005

Gibson SG 61 RI with Maestro new in 2006

Gibson EDS 1275 Double neck new in 2006

Gibson Melody Maker new in 2007

PRS Custom 24 ordered in 2005, got it in 2007

Gibson Les Paul Deluxe new in 2008

Sold, gone, or whatever...

Gibson SG Classic, P-90's - used in 2007

Fender P-Bass copy (junker) new in 1979

Conn Drifter Acoustic new in 1980

Ibanez EVH model used in 1982

Kramer Stryker used in 1989

Martin D-35 from 1972 - used in 2002

Applause Acoustic - used in 2003

Guild DCE-3 new in 2002

Baby Taylor new in 2003

Epiphone SG JR. used in 2003

Epiphone Flying V used in 2003

Chiquita Travel Guitar used in 2005

Fender Strat Deluxe new in 2004

Alvarez AD-60 Acoustic new in 2004

Gibson Les Paul Special new in 2003

Back in the day, I bought new if I had the money; used if I wanted to trade. I didn't play for a long time and then bought three new guitars in a row. All 'cheapo no names', then when I came into a little money (courtesy of a redundancy payment), I bought a brand new Les Paul Standard and a brand new Rickenbacker 330.

Since then, I bought a used Fernandes '62 Stratocaster, two used Peavey (Telecaster) Reactors and a Gordon Smith 12 string electric with a single coil tapped humbucker. And I still have them all!

Mostly new. I don't have an aversion to used guitars (I own four used and seven I bought new)' date=' but there aren't too many places near me that sell [b']good[/b] used gear except for a Guitar Center and I prefer to support my local shop.

right on brother! i buy new and used, and i as well like to support my local shop. i'm not a big fan of guitar center.

I prefer used guitars, since i often find the best years and just get those and pay less taxes and over head.

My 87 les paul custom is a perfect example, it is light years ahead of the current les pauls customs in terms of feel and action.

but i would not hesitate to get a new one if i liked it and wanted it. Like the Orange Tinny Terror i am thinking about.

I also prefer used cars, for the resaon is they do make cars fun as they used to .. my 1990 E30 M3 was worth evey penny.

les paul standard-new

les paul studio-new

dan electro dc 59-used

fender strat satin-used

fender texas tele-used

gibson doubleneck-new

ltd viper 400, i got it from a dead friend

???

used???

and finally a pos acoustic, that i got new

i prefer new guitars, but used ones tend to be nice and worn in

not worn out