Gibson Brands Forums

1965 Epiphone FT120

T-Bone1281734194

I have a 1965 Epiphone FT120 in mint condition' date=' barely played. Japanese made, serial #06780253. Can I get some feedback the value and quality of this instrument? What's it worth? Musically speaking, does it have any value?

Thanks![/quote']

Epiphone's Japanese production began in 1971 and the "FT" models began in 1972. The labels used from 1971 until 1976 were small, blue and rectangular. After 1976 the labels stated they were "another quality product from Norlin"" and were white/parchment colored and larger and more square in shape. The model was discontinued by 1980 The serial numbers on these guitars were random at best and have no logic or order. The material quality of that instrument could be summed up as "student/entry level". The monetary value is <$150 and musically speaking, the value is whatever you can make of the guitar. Not the best guitar, not the worst.

The blue rectangular label:

d422_1.jpg

The white square label:

label120.jpg

Larens

Thanks Larens. The label is white like the one shown in your post. Actually, the only info. I have on the date was what the original owner told me– purchased in '65. It is in beautiful condition. Sorry to hear its not a better instrument.

My son is a beginning college music major looking for a good acoustic guitar. I'd like to buy him one without dropping Martin quality coin! I was thinking of giving him this FT120, but I think I'll look for something that might suit his needs better. Any suggestions?

Thanks Larens. The label is white like the one shown in your post. Actually' date=' the only info. I have on the date was what the original owner told me– purchased in '65. It is in beautiful condition. Sorry to hear its not a better instrument.

My son is a beginning college music major looking for a good acoustic guitar. I'd like to buy him one without dropping Martin quality coin! I was thinking of giving him this FT120, but I think I'll look for something that might suit his needs better. Any suggestions? [/quote']

Please don't misconstrue what I have said. There is no reason that a structurally sound and well-set up FT-120 couldn't serve as a viable instrument for someone starting out or as a hobbyist level instrument. Depending upon your budget there are an extraordinary range of choices without "dropping Martin level coin" including some Martins for that matter. I personally would shy away from "the bling effect" instruments which feature a lot of inlay and superficiality at the expense of substance and look for quality construction and materials and most importantly, playability. Some brands to consider are Blueridge, Seagull, Morgan Monroe, the Asian offerings from Guild and of course current Epiphones. Though without meaning any disparage, I find Epiphone to concentrate more on the imitation of Gibson models and appearance ahead of substance. I know there are a lot of fans of the Masterbilt line but quite frankly I found them to be over-priced for what they were and relying upon esteemed name recognition to sell the level of quality and materials that can found in lower priced brands, at a higher price point. If you can find an older Tacoma model, which did have serious finish issues, those are also quite high quality at a reasonable price point but that cat is out of the bag and those models have gone up in price. I bought a Tacoma PM-20 (Parlor sized but dreadnought depth) a few years ago for $400 with the intention of it being a "beater/boat" guitar and it became the preferred guitar ahead of the much higher-priced Martins and Gibsons in my collection. The current "Inspired By" Epiphone Texan has my attention but I've yet to play one as to make any actual judgment. My fear is that they concentrated on making something that "looked" like something else and paid little attention to it "sounding" like that something else. It's a funny thing but people get a reasonable facsimile in their hands and they're so intoxicated by how much it "looks" like that marvelous vintage model that they actually don't hear the instrument. I know a lot of people here will call me out on what I've said but there are also a lot of very knowledgeable people will offer their suggestions which you should consider. Basically, look for playability and quality of construction and materials and forget about the actual name on the headstock, its similarity to something else or fancy inlays and go from there. Good luck.

Larens

Thanks Larens. The label is white like the one shown in your post. Actually' date=' the only info. I have on the date was what the original owner told me– purchased in '65. It is in beautiful condition. Sorry to hear its not a better instrument.

My son is a beginning college music major looking for a good acoustic guitar. I'd like to buy him one without dropping Martin quality coin! I was thinking of giving him this FT120, but I think I'll look for something that might suit his needs better. Any suggestions? [/quote']

If he is looking for something to just plink around on or pick out a few melodies, this could be ideal to hang on the wall of his dorm room. However, if he is a Guitar Major, then he will be needing something in the neighborhood of Martin coin. Since he is majoring in music, you'd better get input from him. Also, if he is majoring in guitar, he will likely need a specific type, classical, jazz, folk.

Thanks Larens. The label is white like the one shown in your post. Actually' date=' the only info. I have on the date was what the original owner told me– purchased in '65. It is in beautiful condition. Sorry to hear its not a better instrument.... [/quote']

BTW, if it has the white 'Norlin' label, it most definitely was NOT purchased in 1965.... closer to 1975.

Archived