Gibson Brands Forums

Listen to my Epiphone with Gibson pickups

denthevetteman78

Neck pup on clean, nice Bloozy feel. I, too, slapped a set

of 498T/490Rs in both my epis - noticable increase in sustain

and sensitivity, especially regarding "pinch harmonics". What

influenced your decision to go with Gibby Pups?

Mine was based on having owned a few Gibson LPs in my time,

and the fact that I was able to grab both sets for half-price on

flea-bay. No regrets.

A certain blue guitar I know about has a set of '70's Gibson "T-top" pickups, that when compared with the stockers, just opened up the guitar...still fat, but not muddy, and the sweetest part is they were free! I imagine if I did the obligatory cap swap, it'd probably do even more for it, but I really don't see the need.

What influenced your decision to go with Gibby Pups?

I was able to grab both sets for half-price on flea-bay. No regrets.

I wanted the same pickups that Tommy Thayer from kiss use on all his les paul (Gibson 498T pickups) and BB king use on his Lucille A 490R so i have the best combo for what i like to play, and i wanted to keep the chrome humbucker look. I find it look good on a black Guitar.

I also bought them use but like brand new on ebay for a good price.

I tried a Gibson Les Paul studio last week with the exact setup of pickups (498t/490r) and i have to admit that i do prefer my Epiphone Les Paul Standard.

Sound wise i didn't find any major difference and for the price i've paid for my Les Paul Standard plus the price i've paid for the Gibson Pickups(EBAY), i'm still a long way from the price of the Gibson Studio.

What is the Superstrat in your picture?

It's a Quest Atak 2.

I bought it 25 years ago. It was made in Japan from a company name Vantage. I put my Epiphone pickups on it and it did bring back life to it. She sound and play more like a strat. I might put seamour duncan or something like that in the furture.

Guest icantbuyafender

this is exactly why I love 490R pickups. the 490T is my fave companion to it, rather than the 498T.

For a rock beast, 498T is my weapon of choice.

For my usual bluesy/jazzy jives I'm hands down a 490T guy.

excellent playing. Great to hear something classy for a change. I wanted to throw that on repeat and have a martini. LOVE IT!!

It's a Quest Atak 2.

I bought it 25 years ago. It was made in Japan from a company name Vantage. I put my Epiphone pickups on it and it did bring back life to it. She sound and play more like a strat. I might put seamour duncan or something like that in the furture.

I like the snazzy shape and the white finish. Nice!

Archived