Gibson Brands Forums

Gibby ’57 Classic or GFS Vintage 59 in Bridge of Epi SG or Epi LP?

5er driver

Does anyone have one of these pups in their bridge along with a stock Epi neck pup (57CH) in the neck? If so, can you elaborate on how the combination sounds, clean and crunchy? I’m thinking about putting one in the bridge of my Epi SG but wonder how well it would match up with the stock neck pup. Since I rarely use the neck pup alone I don’t plan to switch it out. I found some DC impedance specs, the stock 57CH is about 7.8 - 8.13 KO, the ’57 Classic is about 7.44 - 8.5 KO, and the Vintage 59 Bridge is about 8.5-8.8 KO.

Thanks.

I put a set of Vintage 59s in a G-400 that I had. I loved them. The neck pup was very well defined and the bridge pup was bright and clear. I generally use the bridge pup for rhythm and the neck pup for lead. I don't know how the 59 would match up with the stock neck, I swapped them both out as soon as I got it.

I also put a set of Burstbuckers in another G-400. A Pro in the neck and a II in the bridge. The II is definitely hotter than the Pro, and the 59s. I do like them better, but then they are also 3xs the price.

I have a 57 classic plus in the bridge of my Epiphone Dot and a 57 classic in the neck, I also have a Gibson SG with the same setup. I can't vouch for the Vintage 59 pickups because none of my guitars have them, but the 57 classic pickups make an enormous improvement. Please don't put a 57 classic in the bridge and leave the stock epi pickup in the neck position, that is a horrible combination. Before I changed the stock pickups I never used the neck position because I found it was wayy too muddy (the bridge pickup was fine though), now with the 57 classic in the neck position I use it all the time, throw that gay stock neck pickup in the bin. My friend has an SG with burstbuckers in them, the 57 classics suit an SG the best in my opinion.

Thanks guys, I just might go with 57 Classics in neck & bridge. I've got come RS Guitarworks upgrade stuff coming, I'll put that in first and see how the guitar sounds with the stock pups. I really want nickel covered pups, would nickel clash with the chrome hardware on the guitar? I would love to eventually get nickel hardware for the guitar.

Archived