Gibson Brands Forums

help with 60s rivoli

70sfreak

ive just picked up an old Rivoli, ive dated it to 1963.

The things im unclear about are it has two pickup routes, which look to be original, its also black which again looks original. Everything ive read says no black ones in this era and all had single pickup.

Any help would be appreciated

Hi Freak and welcome here (the bass section is a sad and lonely place)

Interesting score for £50.00 and I can assure you that if I'd seen it I would have been bidding against you for it. I don't ever remember a two pickup Rivoli except the Rivoli II from a few years back, but obviously that was a far east model. Two things spring to mind about yours though.

I read once that Gibson would make anything for anyone if they were prepared to throw enough money at them, and an extra pickup and black finish would hardly be beyond their skills would it? However, they apparently used to put a plate marked "Custom" somewhere on the guitar if they did it.

It's also possible that the original owner had the extra pickup and paint job done after purchase.

If the work was done in the early/mid 60's then it would be indistinguishable by now.

I have a friend who bought a Telecaster bass when they were first issued and had a Gibson humbucker fitted at the neck, a jazz bass pickup at the bridge and the whole bass sprayed in Candy Apple Red. Looking at it today you would think it was exactly as it came from the Fender factory.

I guess you're going to fit it out with new pickups so maybe you'd do me a favour. If you manage to find some new ones will you post here where you find them as I've been looking for one for ages.

Anyway, enjoy your find you lucky dog.

JG

Thanks guys

Any ideas where i can get some pickups from?

If you want an original type then the answer is nooooooooo. They must be available somewhere as there's a guy selling a Korean Rivoli on ebay and he's had a second pickup fitted. Failing finding the originals there is the DiMarzio Model One - DP120 @ £78.95 each which are a direct replacement (size-wise) but don't look like the originals. They're available here:

http://www.bassguitarpartsdirect.co.uk/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=17&cat=DiMazio+4+String+Bass+Pickups

JG

Archived