Gibson Brands Forums

$78 LP Junior makeover

brianh

The guitar on arrival yesterday as a Guitar Center Black Friday door buster for $78:

Fronthalfsize-1.jpg

After swapping out pickup for Seymour Duncan with pull-up coil splitter on volume control, orange drop cap on tone control, chicken head knobs, Switchcraft jack & steel jackplate, Gotoh tuners, new strings:

TopSeymourSide.jpg

TopSeymourRing.jpgTopSeymourHead.jpg

It plays suprisingly well, but frets need to be buffed, bends are a little scratchy. So far I've used only stuff from the parts drawer, so still only $78 + tax outlay. Yes it is a plywood guitar, but it doesn't sound half bad even with no real intonation adjustment. A set of Schaller strap locks and a $25 Leo Quan adjustable bridge are on order:

LeoQuanBridge.jpg

Oh, and I used this diagram from SD for the wiring, it worked on first try:

1hum_1vol_1tone_splitsm.jpg

Next step, remove neck and rout for a Charlie Christian....

Yep, the whole point was to figure out if I was capable of making my own "Julia" model. There's an EpI '57 LP Jr. reissue on Craiglist here for $325 including a Lollar P90 and the original Epi P90. I was thinking of buying that one since it's "mahogany" and has the P90 and a set neck. It may be that routing a guitar with a removeable neck will be too easy. I'm not confident enough yet - afraid I'll destroy an $800 Gibby. Would love to see your Gibby Jr. mod pics again when you get a chance...

Nice work, Brian!

I'm glad you got one of those "Jrs" ... and CHEAP too! They were selling for $89 in store ... great score!

You picked that axe up for about $10 over employee price. Well done, sir ... both the purchase and the moding you've completed so far ...

Jim

Guest icantbuyafender

I need a new neck for my FrankenPaul Jr.... The body is like 8 pounds... a solid 1999 korean

worn frets and rattling truss rod (pretty sure its broke) and unmanageable action past fret 12 and tons of buzz.

The ping tuning machines and the wiring are worth more than the guitar itself i bet... but i still love it.

At around 90 bucks, I might as well grab one, even if it is to just be used as a replacement neck.

hm.... i could experiment and try routing a "julia"....

Pros & Cons of bolt-on Epi LP Jr:

Setup - good out of the box

Intonation - suprisingly close OOTB (fixed bridge)

Neck - material unknown, time will tell

Fretboard - tight-grain rosewood, flat, straight, no buzzes

Frets - could use some additional filing, but not sharp.

Tuners - pressed metal, plastic bushings and covers, must replace.

Pickup - usable but very distorted (coil tap not standard).

Pickup ring - beige is wrong color, should be black or chrome

Wiring - cheap but OK, works

Pots - Alpha A500k ohm, audio taper, smooth feel

Jack/jack plate - Chinese Epiphone brand/plastic - replace

Bridge - Fixed wraparound, not a problem unless perfect intonation needed

Body - Plywood

Strap buttons - Straplocks advisable

Paint/finish - OK, it aint the Mona Lisa

Pickguard - B/W/B is a nice touch

Overall:

Needs some upgrades, but not the worst starter guitar.

Plays and hangs well, balanced.

Weight with upgrades: ~7 lbs.

A good test bed/training excercise for novice modders like me.

Also decent as a cheap backup, slide, or rehearsal space axe.

5 out of 10 (-1 each for plywood body, pickup, jack & plate; -2 for tuners)

Well done on the deal @ GC - usually 'deal' and 'Guitar Center' aren't used in the same sentence. Props on the chickenhead knobs as well, very unique.

Quick question, may seem a little silly...What is the best place to buy Switchcraft products? I have heard everybody rave about them, but cannot find the best retailer.

Cheers

Guest icantbuyafender
can someone post a pic of the "julia" [confused]

also' date=' canbuyafender, can u post pic of your guitar. Please

Maybe we should start a lp jr pic thread!!!!!![/quote']

FrankenPaulJr1.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/icantbuyafender/FrankenPaulJr1.jpg

FrankenPaulJr2.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/icantbuyafender/FrankenPaulJr2.jpg

FrankenPaulJr3.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/icantbuyafender/FrankenPaulJr3.jpg

FrankenPaulJr4.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/icantbuyafender/FrankenPaulJr4.jpg

seymour duncan invader clone humbucker with coil split on volume push-pull pot

A Fender TBX (treble/bass frequency cutter) tone pot

Ping tuners

Dunlop straploks

graphite nut

Same epiphone pickguard and bridge

I sanded down the ENTIRE neck except for in the neck pocket and on the front of the headstock. I sculpted my own personal assymetric neck profile I gues lol. Then the body was HAND SANDED with sand blocks and paper.

Did the usual steps using a primer, a white paint, and a couple of clear coat sealer stuffs from walmart haha

I did this WAY before Billy Joe was parading around with a white LP jr!

I sanded down the ENTIRE neck except for in the neck pocket and on the front of the headstock. I sculpted my own personal assymetric neck profile I gues lol.

Great idea sanding the neck Gabe, I'll add that to my todo list.

What kinda monkey wood did you find under there?

Guest icantbuyafender
Great idea sanding the neck Gabe' date=' I'll add that to my todo list.

What kinda monkey wood did you find under there?

[/quote']

the neck wood was surprising dense. not at all like some of the mystery woods in some guitars that can get chipped away with a fingernail once the poly finish falls off. perhaps it is a maple or mahogany? I know nothing of wood types. the body gets me.... it weighs as much a gibby LP studio practically.... 8ish pounds! odd?!

"Julia" is Duane's Gibby LP Jr. routed out to accept a Charlie Christian pickup in the neck. This is the general look and feel of the Jr. made famous by John Lennon when he lived in NYC in the 70s:

_john_lennon_beatles-1.jpg

The deal is you can buy a pre-worn replica of this guitar from Gibson for $4k or you can buy an LP Jr. for $800 and do the mods yourself for a few hundred:

LPJuniorCC-1.gif

The catch is you have to be confident enough in your skills (or know someone who is) to route a large cavity in the back for the CC PUP, and a 3-way toggle in the usual LP position, not to mention the rewiring. The other part of the mod involves changing the wrap-around bridge to a TOM/tailpiece arrangement, which according to the available info involved a post hole fill and re-drill, although the repros don't replicate this, they appear to have just drilled them fresh.

That's the part that I'm flumoxed by. Duane had a whole pictorial thread on this, but it was wiped by the crash.

lennon27.jpg

ok, what a monster of a mod that would be!!!!![biggrin] would it help to have a lp routed for p90's and tom/tailstop arrangement, toggle location to begin with. then u just need to buy the pup http://www.lollarguitars.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=charlie-christian-pickups then route for it. and rewire.

I like your new bridge and think i will get one for my jr.

Duane, anyway you can report pics on the Julia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what about this guitar!!!!!!

http://www.rondomusic.com/ad201hs.html

Believe me, I am very familiar with those Rondos. But for about the same price as their Jr knockoff, you can find a used Epi '57 LP Jr. reissue, solid mahogany, set neck and it looks just like a real Jr. I've also heard those Rondo Jrs have intonation problems that can only be fixed by moving/replacing the bridge...

ok' date=' what a monster of a mod that would be!!!!![blink'] would it help to have a lp routed for p90's and tom/tailstop arrangement, toggle location to begin with. then u just need to buy the pup http://www.lollarguitars.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=charlie-christian-pickups then route for it. and rewire.

Yep, the Lollars have a good rep. Their P90s too...

brain, how bout a this!!!

http://store.guitarfetish.com/somalpstkibo.html

only advantages i see are:

1- toggle switch part is done

2- it is mahogany body and neck with binding on both

3- i would feel btter starting on this for molds than the 300-400 dollar epi 57 reissue that is discontinued

4- has tom/stop piece setup

5- the skills you will gain in doing this mod.

- setting a neck

- learning to correctly shim and glue ---wow

- filling grain on body and neck

- filling orginal humbucker pockects and 2 pots holes

- routing for p90 and cc pups and back control plate for cc pup-if needed

6- u can use el cheapo epi as the second go around before the gibby- whether u destroy this one or not!!

dis-advantages

1- time- what a project

2- cost- not just for another guitar, but for pups, hardware, nut, glue, grain filling material, clamps- unless u have a nice parts drawer!!!!

3- it is not an epi or gibby

4- u destroy guitar after numerous mistakes, but look at the skills u have gained, and u did not destroy an epi or gibby which is why u chose a cheap guitar. wait i think this is an advantage[blink]

5- you can stick with the el cheapo epi as u stated in another tread and do what mods need to be done on plywood body. beacuse it is 100 dollars less than this one, not to mention shipping cost.

ok, what do you think

Nothing wrong with it at all, but the Jr. is a flat top, no binding and the P90/CC PUP combo is what Lennon had on his Gibby Jr.

That's where I'm headed with this whole thing, but there's lots of good ways to get distracted, that's for sure!

I also still have my Genesis project not quite finished, so already have a 2 x Humbucker guitar to work on this winter...

Looks like I was wrong - there's a 3rd intermediate version of the Epi LP Junior that was neither an El Cheapo or a '57 Reissue, just a standard LP Jr. with bolt-on neck, but with a mahogany (not plywood) body and white P90:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-JR-90?sku=518572

There's at least one for sale on Craigslist for <$200:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/msg/1466047166.html

Note that in the photos below, the pickguards are different shapes, the PUPs and bridge have a different relationship, and the knobs are in different spots. So much for consistency...

EpiLPJrSB.jpg

EpiLPJrEb.jpg

Archived