Gibson Brands Forums

how many guitars do I need to just grab and play?

bluefoxicy

Okay so I'm noticing a pattern here:

- My teacher wants me to play Sweet Child o' Mine. It's down a half step.

- I want to play Story of my Life, it's down a half step

- Half the crap I want to play needs Drop D or you run out of guitar

So I need like 3 guitars? One standard, one DAdGBe, one down a half with heavy strings?

How about a Hipshot Drop D tuner for your main guitar?

http://store.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_list&c=7

Doesn't solve the half-step problem' date=' but at least you don't have to have a dedicated drop D unit.[/quote']

When I put my Ibanez in drop D, I have to adjust the intonation; the saddle moves to an entirely different seat just to get it right. The Epi LP SP2 can't do it (I need a Les Paul Standard or Studio). Instant Drop D means bad tuning due to horrible intonation... unless those things let you set the intonation separate.

Also my Ibanez has a locking floyd rose style nut ugh.

Yes I miss my Carvin' date=' and all the old Gibsons I used to have............ But i'm slowly working on replacing some of them![/quote']

Yup... Nowadays you just almost need a banknote, Ya' know...

I've lost and gotten rid of thingz over the years that'd make ya'

want to kick yer own a$$ plum off...

Yup... Nowadays you just almost need a banknote' date=' Ya' know...

I've lost and gotten rid of thingz over the years that'd make ya'

want to kick yer own a$$ plum off...

[/quote']

I know what you mean, I've been looking at prices on vintage Les Pauls and some others and it makes me sick to my stomach to see what they sell for now.If I still had mine I would have about $15.000 in guitars.

Bluefoxicy' date='

I'm sure you'll like just about any of the Carvins, I'm a Gibson man through and through but those Carvins play real nice and sound good.[/quote']

Yeah I've been wanting a Strat type for a while, looked at Fender and PRS a bit. I've been rocking out today, somehow I suddenly can actually play songs (??????? I sucked 2 weeks ago....) so....

Guest icantbuyafender
Okay so I'm noticing a pattern here:

- My teacher wants me to play Sweet Child o' Mine. It's down a half step.

- I want to play Story of my Life' date=' it's down a half step

- Half the crap I want to play needs Drop D or you run out of guitar

So I need like 3 guitars? One standard, one DAdGBe, one down a half with heavy strings?[/quote']

One down a half step in Eb

One in standard with a dropped D

I dont see where you would need a guitar tuned to D, full step down

or is that "story of my life" song in D tuning?

Guest icantbuyafender

cause for the Eb and dropped D, you can get away guitar tuned to Eb (most rockers use this as standard) then just drop the D when you need it.

I do it for the rare occasion, and it only takes like 5 seconds with a good ear.

Buttt if you want perfect intonation, i cant help you there.

All things aside, I have thought of replacing the bridges on my tuneomatic bridge guitars for basic compensated LP Jr type bridges just because intonation drives me insane when i focus on it. I just get it close and force my ear to deal with it. Its soo hard to get it perfect without an upgrade bridge.

If a bridge has moving saddles, I will try to intonate it till I turn blue. This really holds up a gig or practice session. Hence my FrankenPaul Jr being my main stage axe.

But its for the better that the ABR1 and such were introduced.

So, (sorry to ramble) unless you are going to have a specific guitar for each tuning, you may have to grin and bare the off intonation on the D.

ok, why not get the fender v2 strat ( or a line 6). i know it is a gimmic guitar, but they do play nice and have a variety of tunings. one guitar for many styles. Last one i saw at guitercenter was on clearance. about 999.00 with the shopping season in full swing, you could probably get one for a way better price.

special note. thay have beeen discontinued!!!!! i believe for battery issues. from what i remember, they are not rechargeable.

Pardon my ignorance but do songs that are played in droppedntuning on a record need to be played in dropped tuning as a cover version? I appreciate that some genres use drop tunings to get a heavier sound but it that necesary with G'n'R material? Are drop tunings otherwise used to accomodate singers with a lower vocal range?

Alan

Pardon my ignorance but do songs that are played in dropped tuning on a record need to be played in dropped tuning as a cover version? I appreciate that some genres use drop tunings to get a heavier sound but it that necessary with G'n'R material? Are drop tunings otherwise used to accommodate singers with a lower vocal range?

Alan

Yes, they need to be played in the proper tuning to get the right open chord shapes in key. If you try to play along with the album, it's not going to sound right unless you drop your tuning.

Yes' date=' they need to be played in the proper tuning to get the right open chord shapes in key. If you try to play along with the album, it's not going to sound right unless you drop your tuning.[/quote'] So what ??? How much does playing along with an album and sounding exactly right pay ??? Buy a few SX guitars on the cheap, problem solved.

So what ??? How much does playing along with an album and sounding exactly right pay ???

To someone who's learning or practicing on their own, or doesn't have their own band for some reason? I find it rather enriching. It's the closest thing I have to playing with others, which teaches me to follow along with the band. A lot of people can't play in a band because they can't keep rhythm with the other band members (myself included; I've done it, but usually I can't stay in time with the metronome or the album).

I recommend getting a Loop pedal.

IMO it's a lot better than playing along with albums. Not that that's bad.

With the looper you can play lead to your own rhythm tracks. And you can set the track to whatever tempo you like, so you can seed it up or slow it down as you like. Most offer a way to play along with cd/mp3 players as well.

Getting one for myself has made a huge difference in my playing. I wish I had got one long ago.

You oughta try one.

I recommend getting a Loop pedal.

IMO it's a lot better than playing along with albums. Not that that's bad.

With the looper you can play lead to your own rhythm tracks. And you can set the track to whatever tempo you like' date=' so you can seed it up or slow it down as you like. Most offer a way to play along with cd/mp3 players as well.

Getting one for myself has made a huge difference in my playing. I wish I had got one long ago.

You oughta try one.[/quote']

That's interesting. I'll have to look into that.

I'm looking into this currently:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/PRS-SE-Singlecut-Trem-Electric-Guitar-515828-i1395985.gc

Might down-tune the Ibanez and put this in standard.

SE's are garbage. I have yet to see a good one.

YMMV

I own a guitar that's easy to play, holds its tune for like a month (says the electronic tuner), and has great tone and sustain. I let other people play it and they're blown away because it's better than their guitars.

I'll play the PRS at Guitar Center for a couple months, if I like it I'll buy it. It's that simple. I have one freaking awesome guitar already, if this one's anything but awesome I'll notice. If I like it early on, I'll pay them to put new strings on the one in the store (without me buying it).

So we'll see.

Archived