Gibson Brands Forums

how many guitars do I need to just grab and play?

bluefoxicy

Just telling it like it is. I have seen about 8 in the last two months with wonky necks' date=' and the hardware is just awful on them. They are no where near worth the price.

[/quote']

Nods. I was considering possibly going with an upper singlecut model, but they're $2500 and I want the tobacco burst. From everything else I can find online, reviews say the construction is actually decently close to their upper tier models, although it's highly noticeable you're not sporting a $3000 PRS.

I'd love to buy a truly awesome PRS though, but I don't have the coin to drop.

Actually here's some thoughts for you:

http://www.prsguitars.com/csc/bridges.html

Even the $3000 PRS singlecut comes with a stoptail and NO tune-o-matic or the like (even the $150 Special II I have has a tune-o-matic, albeit it's too narrow and doesn't intonate right anyway!). So I'd have to special order an adjustable stoptail.

Beyond that, I was considering getting direct replacement auto-locking tuners (PRS high-end guitars have these standard) and the pickups on the 245 (better than what's in the SE -- like buying a Les Paul Studio epi and dropping Gibson Burstbuckers on). And of course drop a graphite nut if that nut's not graphite or bone. Probably each pickup and the bridge would cost $100, plus $50-$100 for the tuning machines, so $400 to upgrade.

At any rate, the big thing is making sure I find a guitar that plays well. Epiphone Studio, plays well, sounds decent, drop in Gibson hardware for $300-$400. PRS decent low-end model, plays well, sounds well, drop in higher model hardware for $300-$400. I simply don't have the money to drop on a top end model anything.

I'll keep my eye out for the "wonky neck" issue, though if you can explain just how (warped, not seated properly, etc) so I can look for it that'd be nice. As I said, I intend to play, play, and play some more; and then pay GC for a set of strings and have the salesperson restring the floor model so I can play fresh strings. If it's a good guitar, I'll buy it and throw all the upgrades in.

They have really soft necks and they are not set properly. I know it has PRS on the headstock, but they are cheap Chinese guitars, not even as good as an Epi. They will not stay in tune no matter what cause the neck won't stay still. Stay away. I don't really get whats so great about a good PRS, (for the price) but at least an american made PRS is a quality guitar. The SE's range should be $150-$300, not $600-$1000.

How about a Hipshot Drop D tuner for your main guitar?

http://store.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_list&c=7

Doesn't solve the half-step problem' date=' but at least you don't have to have a dedicated drop D unit.[/quote']

Or the Morpheus droptune pedal? Might not give the heavy strings sound (and certainly not the feel) but to cover a few songs it's lighter than a separate guitar.

You can get away with one guitar at home playing along with CDs if you tune to Eb, use a capo on the first fret when playing in E and a dropped D can be dialed in in seconds with an electronic tuner. If your guitar's intonation goes off by going to dropped D then you have a problem and should look in to correcting that first. It will probably be cheaper than another guitar.

For playing live you probably could make do with two guits, one in standard E and one in Eb, then dial in the dropped D as needed. I would use 3 guitars, E, Eb, and standard dropped D which could quickly be tuned to E if you break a string or whatever.

If you feel the need to justify the case for another guitar, and who on here doesn't, then yes you need another guitar.

Just my 2 cents worth. YMMV.

Z.

Archived