Gibson Brands Forums

Bigsby tone differences?

hey guys just a quick question here, I am thinkn of tricking out my telecaster (pup changes, pot changes,) but I really want to put a bigsby on it, my question is because my tele is string through, will my tone be affected by adding the bigsby, because then it wont be string through, ive heard that string through bodies give you more sustain and better tone, pleaseeee any opinions are greatly appreciated

I don't beleive you'll notice a thing.

the bigsby also adds to the tone.

Now.when you use it. it takes some sustain.. because you just stretched and released the strings.

everybodys does! but your normal sustain will be just fine!

TWANG

I'd advise you to try a Bigsby before you do it. I was hugely disappointed and regret drilling the holes in my Tele.

If you don't buy the Bigsby tele conversion including the bridge, you'll need a replacement bridge as well. I got the Bigsby kit, and the bridge saddles were crap. I ended up getting a Mustang bridge and graphtek saddles, much better.

I hardly use the Bigsby. I much prefer a maestro or a strat trem. And it's a pig to restring....

I just installed a Bigsby with a Vibramate mounting plate on my SG:

SG-6.jpg?t=1259621670

Bigsbys take a little getting used to, but I love 'em. I got this one because I missed the one on the Chet Atkins Country Gent I sold a while back. No tone loss, easy to use...I'll have to get back into restringing, but I restrung my CACG regularly for 15 years with no trauma as I recall.

I'd advise you to try a Bigsby before you do it. I was hugely disappointed and regret drilling the holes in my Tele.

If you don't buy the Bigsby tele conversion including the bridge' date=' you'll need a replacement bridge as well. I got the Bigsby kit, and the bridge saddles were crap. I ended up getting a Mustang bridge and graphtek saddles, much better.

I hardly use the Bigsby. I much prefer a maestro or a strat trem. And it's a pig to restring....

[/quote']

I no, belive me I am in love with Bigsbys now, I have one on my P93 riv, and now when I play my tele I find myself reaching for the bigsby but its not there

i was just planning on getting a B5 and boltn it on there, using my existing ashtray bridge and vintage brass cylinder saddles because there round its like having a roller bridge, but i really do think I want one on my tele, but i think im gona have to get another tele to have a a string through model because i think it really does make a difference

by the way was there any loss of tone when you changed it out?

I couldn't use my stock MIM bridge plate because the rim at the back was high enough to catch the strings, so I fitted the Bigsby kit.

I did experience some loss of tone but I put it down to the crap aluminium bridge saddles on the Bigsby kit. The adjuster screws were also very loose and kept drifting out. I kept the plate but substituted a Mustang bridge, with Graphtek saddles. Mustang bridges fit straight into Tele post holes. Now, the resonance/sustain is even better than the original through-body set up. If I ever need to replace saddles on any guitar in the future, I'll fit Graphtek.

Archived