Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Epiphone Guy

New Epiphone Valve Jr. not working

Hmm well sound's like the Fenders from $40-100 were projects to start with which gave you 4 unsable amp's; that's why the people dumped them in the first place..

The Valve Jr. from the box usually works except for that blasted varnish on the fuse holder that needs to be cleaned from time to time.

But the amp out of the box is useable' date=' no project.. only when you tire of the muddy sound...

Don't know where you're see $250 for a VJ... Still $129 for head @ MF

and $150 for the combo

Head is only "more" expensive if you don't already have a speaker.

Now

And Gil answered that quite clearly.. with a parts list that came to just over $7 without shipping or local taxes.

I bought the Champs fully aware they were NOT in working condition (actually a couple of them only needed tubes and re-capping) and that they would be projects. The OP bought what he believed to be a usable amp not requiring any repair or modification. I have no idea what a VJ jr. costs because they've never even approached my radar. It's the Champs that I was referring to that go for $250 and more now. As was previously noted, why hasn't Epiphone addressed this obviously common problem? Do they assume that everyone buying one of these amp has the intention of somehow improving upon it? I think it's cool that there is a project platform available for those who wish to indulge themselves but a novice without any experience is going to be lost upon discovering the amp he just bought doesn't work. To tell you the truth, and I certainly don't claim any great electronic knowledge but can usually diagnose general amp problems, if I bought any brand new amp and got it home and it didn't work it'd be back where I bought it before you could say "Alexander Dumble".

Larens

My VJr head was $99 used at GC and the cab with a 16 ohm Hellatone installed was $75 off Craigslisp, both in perfect condition. No fuse probems so far. The VSr. head I ordered in February '09 and finally received in October was $299. Now I have the Sr. and cab paired up and the Jr. is orphaned.

I was in GC this weekend and saw a used Jr. head for $79. I've seen them on CL for as little as $60. Seems like a great deal if they work, and with $10 in mods too good to pass up assuming you have a soldering iron, can follow directions, and aren't afraid of potentially getting zapped by a charged cap.

That reminds me of a funny story: A company I worked for in the 80's had a camera department that catered to professional photographers. We had a guy in the service department who used to have to fix the car battery sized packs they used to use for large flash systems, which were in effect, a gigantic capacitor - charge, flash, wait, charge, flash, wait, etc. Every once in a while the guy woud get zapped whilst working on those nasty things. You'd hear a loud yelp, then swearing, then stuff getting thrown around and more swearing. This happened often enough that we called him "Sparky" behind his back. It more or less amounted to shock treatment for the poor guy, and I think he sorta needed it. He always went around with an FM radio in his shirt pocket listening to political talk shows on an earplug and yelling at the host or caller. The effect was eerily like a demented homeless person, wandering around the shop talking to himself and occassionaly yelling out some Turrets-like obscenity.

Ah, the good ol' days...

The way I see it' date=' VJrs, Blackhearts and other low end amps are to us what Dodge SRT-4 (aka Neon) are to the tuner crowd. By the time they invest in engine and tranny upgrades, exhaust, seats, sound system, tinted glass, ground effects and custom paint job, they could've bought a brand new Infinity G37. But they don't/can't spend $40k upfront, it's more practical to spend $20k up front and spend $500 a month on aftermarket parts for a few years and have something to drive and tinker with in the meantime.[/quote']

EVERYONE HERE THAT TALKS ABOUT BLACKHEART NEEDS TO BE QUITE UNLESS THEY HAVE ONE OR TRYED ONE, THEY ARE FARRRRRR BETTER THEN THE EPI VJS TONE WISE AND BUILT, THEY COME PRE PUNCHED FOR MODS AND THEIR WEBSITE TELLS YOU WHERE AND WHAT TO GET TO DO TO IT, QAULITY CONTROL IS ALSO FFFFFFAAAAAAAR GREATER, SO CALM DOWN IF YOU THINK YOU HAVE TO SPEND $$$$$$$$$ TO GET A GOOD AMP YOUR A FOOL, GO GET A BLACKHEART LET IT WARM UP AND YOU WILL SEE WHY THEY ARE LEADING THE SALES AND HAVE LEAST RETURNS AND LEAST COMPLAINTS ABOUT THEM THEY ARE ALSO THE REASON WHY VOX AND FENDER AND OTHER BRANDS ARE STARTING TO COME AROUND WITH THESE LITTLE AMPS, BLACKHEARTS ARE BUILT LIKE TANKS AND ARE BADMOTHAS STOCK OUTA THE BOX, AND THEY DONT COME WITH ANY SILLY LITTLE PROBLEMS

Okay,

First time I've had to jump on the computer all day but here goes: I took the amp back to Guitar Center. I spoke with the salesman on the phone and he said that they only had the floor model left. Of course when I get there, I plug into it and even that doesn't work, lol. One of the sales guys came over and did indeed verify that something was wrong with it.

So basically, for the time being, I'm back to being tube amp-less.

Thank you to all for sharing your opinions.

I took the amp back to Guitar Center.

Smart man!

A new amp (or anything else, for that matter) should fulfill its function without repairs,

unless of course you were to get a big discount.

If I bought a shirt, got it home, and discovered that it was frayed, I would

bring it back. Yes, my girlfriend can sew, maybe she would even enjoy the "practice",

but that's not the point!

The "point" is that one should get what one pays for.

IF YOU THINK YOU HAVE TO SPEND $$$$$$$$$ TO GET A GOOD AMP YOUR A FOOL

All I'd say is' date=' Ya' get what ya' pay for and in the end... It's all

about what you like personally. Sit down with an ol' Mesa and

you get the general idea as to why, $$$$$$... [b'].02[/b]

Amp comparisons always get people wound up, It's a-

"to each his own thing..."

Maxheart.. can you not type in capital letters,,, its long been established (since before 1990) that typing in CAPITALS is shouting on a forum..

no need to shout.

Peter built the Valve Jr, then branched out to build the BlackHeart..

there are some on this forum that never,,,, NEVER.. modify their valve junior, nor repair them...

then there are others and that's why I send them to www.seawatt.com to learn how to "make things better."

Any amp made has pretty much a following and has modd'ers working to make the amp sound better (user subjectable) than stock.

Some just turn on the amp and play. to each his/her own.

EVERYONE HERE THAT TALKS ABOUT BLACKHEART NEEDS TO BE QUITE UNLESS THEY HAVE ONE OR TRYED ONE' date=' THEY ARE FARRRRRR BETTER THEN THE EPI VJS TONE WISE AND BUILT, THEY COME PRE PUNCHED FOR MODS AND THEIR WEBSITE TELLS YOU WHERE AND WHAT TO GET TO DO TO IT, QAULITY CONTROL IS ALSO FFFFFFAAAAAAAR GREATER, SO CALM DOWN IF YOU THINK YOU HAVE TO SPEND $$$$$$$$$ TO GET A GOOD AMP YOUR A FOOL, GO GET A BLACKHEART LET IT WARM UP AND YOU WILL SEE WHY THEY ARE LEADING THE SALES AND HAVE LEAST RETURNS AND LEAST COMPLAINTS ABOUT THEM THEY ARE ALSO THE REASON WHY VOX AND FENDER AND OTHER BRANDS ARE STARTING TO COME AROUND WITH THESE LITTLE AMPS, BLACKHEARTS ARE BUILT LIKE TANKS AND ARE BADMOTHAS STOCK OUTA THE BOX, AND THEY DONT COME WITH ANY SILLY LITTLE PROBLEMS[/quote']Totally agree with yah on this. My BH5H is built extremely well and sounds great. I own a vintage Mesa Head (Caliber .50)that the same quality is in line with the blackheart. I would also say that about My Orange Head and this little BlackHeart save for the cheap input jacks. Great amp at a fraction of the cost for a Boutique amp..

I've owned tube amps since 1966 and have made many minor repairs and mods on amps over the years but I'd never suggest that someone get their first practice working on one the first night they owned their amp. I've also watched Twang in action for over twelve years and I personally wouldn't let me try to fix my toaster. The warranty problem wouldn't necessarily arise from the repair of the fuse holder but from all the other "ooops" that happen along the way which will in deed negate the warranty and to say nothing of the inherent DANGER of poking around fatal voltages. I hope it is something as simple as has been suggested but allow professionals to make that determination after hands-on inspection' date=' not some wanna be on a forum. The OP is entitled to a functional amp not requiring repair before its first use.

Larens[/quote']

first off.

I've got something you can kiss for the next twelve years.

Secondly, the idea that a minor tear in the tolex is some big deal amazes me.

Thirdly, you don't get anywhere near filter capactors or anything else when replacing the fuse or fixing the fuse holder.

that's sheerly idiotic. The components are inside the chassis, not outside it.

The only oops that can happen along the way IS the tearing of the tolex. You obviously have NO clue at all what you're talking about and came in here only to play mr. big mouth. Something NOBODY in here has ever done.

I can't name three times when people were rude to other members in here.

Lastly, the very idea that you would call upon a professional to replace a fuse, or scrap the oxidation off the fuse holder

is so silly I can hardly believe you have guts enough to say it.

I don't know what you've got against me.. but I'll guarantee you this, I've sold several epi vjs rebuilt by me.. and often TWO to the same guy.. and not one has been an unhappy person. Quite the opposite in fact.

I'll be more than happy to let you take your toaster to a professional.

Fess up now.. who are you really? Some petty schmuck with nothing better to do that read my posts for twelve years and come in now to disrespect me? Or some punk? oh wait. same thing!

You have not responded in a sensible way throughout this thread, to any serious point.

You discourage people from

changing a fuse

in a forum that is largely dedicated to modifications and learning more and more about amps by amatuers.

If you want to be a snob and hang with 'professionals' by the way, I suggest you first learn to at least act like one.

Later, maybe, you will be lucky enough to learn what you're talking about and even eventually come to be one.

See.. I encourage people to learn and overcome thier ignorance. Unlike you.

You talk about this problem in the 'what if' category. As if tens and tens of posts with this same problem meant it couldn't be just that? That's the WORST attitude toward trouble shooting I've ever read in my life!

quote:

Unfortunately I've known the Twangster since about 1996....

name your name bigshot. I'm betting what you mean is you've had your rudeness and sloth handed you on a platter before and can't get over it.

I pity your shrink, she must have her hands full.

I'm just going to say this once.

Lay off me.

I am not going to put up with someone claiming they know me for years.. when they obviously mean they've read my posts only.

You don't know me.

You've been just as interested in dissing me as you have in helping this person with his problem.

9 times out of 10. it's the fuse holder. I repeat. 9 times out of 10. and an easy SAFE fix.

There's nothing outside the chassis to show.

But whatever else you think.. from now on pal, you leave ME out of it.

We both know where we stand, any further argument would only be to the detriment of the forum and serve no purpose at all.

Re-opened...

Please keep it civil....

thanx[cool]

Has this thread gotten out of hand and closed?? Seemed pretty civil to me. What was the issue with it? (so we can learn what not to do here I guess)

i think it was my use of caps....................i didnt know it ment i was screamn at people...............
WHAT"S WRONG WITH YOU!!!!! ehehee[biggrin]

Has this thread gotten out of hand and closed?? Seemed pretty civil to me. What was the issue with it? (so we can learn what not to do here I guess)

Just your run of the mill "character attacking" and baiting....... Things that are not allowed here[biggrin]