Gibson Brands Forums

Ej-160e no sound from pickup

scootzilla

Well my uncle gave me 1 of his 160's.I went home was about to jam alittle on it.Well i hooked it up but no sound plays at all.The only thing that plays over the amp is alittle humm/buzz sound but no music.I know the amp works as i play my others on it.any help would be thankful.

SZ

Yes it did play a few months a go plugged in but he hasnt played it again and gave it to me a few days a go as a gift.It does have acoustic strings on it right now but i just fig that it would have low sound with them not nothing at All.Also when it plugged up if i touch the input with my hand the hum goes away but still no sound if that helps at all also.

SZ

Well i dont want to work on the guitar myself as i dont wanna mess anything up on something thats is worth money like this.How much would it cost to had it re/wired and stuff.I called a shop here and they said around 150 does that sound right to you guys?Also with this not working how much less is it worth in value.

Well i dont want to work on the guitar myself as i dont wanna mess anything up on something thats is worth money like this.How much would it cost to had it re/wired and stuff.I called a shop here and they said around 150 does that sound right to you guys?Also with this not working how much less is it worth in value.

That's way too high if it's only a simple soldering job in the jack. I wouldn't think all the electronics would have to be rewired.

I used a small "mechanic's mirror" on a swivel to slip between the strings and look around inside the body. That's how I found the wire disconnected from the jack. So when I got to restringing my git, I got the end of the wire and jack out thru the sound hole, resoldered it and reassembled the jack into the body. Then I continued with the restringing. Any small mirror on a "stick" and a flashlight will work to go "exploring".

Dean

Firstly it should have acoustic guitar strings on it and not electric strings as someone mentioned, and It will run around $100-150. for a shop to check it out, we don't know that its a lose wire or something else which may require more time in the shop and they have their over-head to pay.

So as T'hawk had mentioned take a small mirror and have a quick look to see if you have wires hanging that don't look right and then discuss it with a shop.Ship

The EJ160E has a Mini Humbucker in the thing not even close to a P90 or P100.

That stated it is a simple electric guitar PU. If you are at all handy you can take the stings off and unscrew the top plate on the PU cover and then you can unscrew the PU and the whole thing will drop down into the guitar. You can then trace the wires to the 2 Pots. 1 is volume and 1 is tone.

It sounds like a loose wire somewhere. To get to the Pots take off the knobs unscrew the top mounting nuts and they all drop right down. This guitar has plenty of room being an acoustic to access all the parts. There is not a whole lot to the whole thing and you can get all the parts out right through the soundhole.

This is a very easy job and any shop wanting to charge you $150 is way of line. It may just be loose solder joints in the Pots. If you do feel you can't do it then take it in but $150 is way high for how easy this guitar is to work on. We are not talking fishing things through F holes here.

When done if you want the PU to sound with any volume you need to use electric strings.

As a point of reference I own one of these guitars and have had all the parts out myself at one point.

Archived