Gibson Brands Forums

1975 Sheraton

tsage

Hard to believe it's a '75, because according to the 2009 Blue Book of Electric Guitars they didn't make Sheratons from '71 to '79. Determining the actual age would be important because before '71, they are valued at anywhere from $1,700 to nearly $10,000 (based on condition).

From 1980 on, the value is between $200 and $600, except for Elitist models which can fetch up to $1,600. There's also some John Lee Hooker models that are valued at up to around $2,500.

In any case, the label type and serial number are the first things needed to determine actual age. After that, the vaue is determined by condition.

I first saw the dates on another older thread. There was another website that confirmed this but I don't recall what it was. If I remember what I read, Matsumoto made a "crappy" version till 74, then they were contracted to make the better version in 1975. The seller states the sticker isn't inside the guitar anymore, but I haven't had a chance to see the guitar yet.

Can't forget that they made the "EA" and "ET" series guitars in the mid 70's. I don't think they were called Sheraton's though, but I could be wrong.

The EA-250 series:

http://www.matsumoku.org/models/epiphone/catalogs/1974/pg3.html

The EPI price lists that I'm looking at (in the "Epiphone, The Complete History" book) don't show the "Sheraton" until 1982 and the suggested list price was $699.95

Archived