Gibson Brands Forums

my danelectro!

colin23

I know its not an epi but............ I have an '08 danelectro DC I absolutly love it but, even when it's perfectly in tune and intonated, when I play G on the low E string it's sharp! If I play a G chord you can hear the low string sounds out of tune. A I said it's in tune and the intonation seems fine. could this be something to do with the nut being a sloppy cut?? any help please????[confused]

If the problem is as bad on the F and F# frets then it is more than likely that the low E nut slot needs to be a little deeper. High frets can have a similar effect if you really start digging in but that would tend to make the whole chord out of tune.

JG

... could this be something to do with the nut being a sloppy cut?? any help please????

If the problem is as bad on the F and F# frets then it is more than likely that the low E nut slot needs to be a little deeper. High frets can have a similar effect if you really start digging in but that would tend to make the whole chord out of tune.

I disagee with jonnyg. Cutting your nut slots deeper or raising/lowering a fret (that is otherwise not buzzing) is only going to cause you headaches --- fret buzz galore.

Indeed' date=' your nut slots may be sloppy. If so they need lubrication and/or gentle widening. You're trying to eliminate string binding here not change the height to the fretboard. First step, reduce string tension and put ground pencil "lead" in the nut slots to lube them then retune. You can use an old E string stapled to a small piece of wood as a file to gently widen the slot if it needs tweaked. Also check your low E bridge saddle for burrs and file to remove if any.

If that doesn't solve your problem look deeper at the tail end. Is it a tremolo/Floyd Rose, stop tail, TOM? A pic may help us help you better.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

Archived