Gibson Brands Forums

Robot guitar problems: it doesn't charge - and no adapter included in Europe!

stormy

Well, I got my new robot guitar and I've been having a few problems:

First of all, in Europe, the wall adapter is not included! Only the charger part is included. I got in touch with Gibson Europe Customer Service and got nothing but BS replies: "because voltages and plugs in Europe were so different, we decided not to include it".

I replied that there is only ONE voltage in Europe, and only one country with a different plug (UK). I also told them that I've bought many electronics that include chargers that work in all of Europe, including different plugs for UK, etc., and I expect a "limited edition first run" guitar that also happens to be robotized to be equipped with the charger for that robot.

Their reply was "sure, there are so many adapters out there that we didn't feel we needed to include one". Awesome.

And now the real problem: I tried 5 different adapters, all following the specifications on the charger, with different voltages and polarities, and also two different patch cords, the shortest I could find. None of them charge the guitar!

The charging sequence works as planned up to the point where the guitar is flashing red (looking for charger) and the charger is flashing red too. Then I plug the guitar into the charger, the charger blinks green, but the guitar doesn't change. After a while, the guitar starts to flash the green peg (standby mode) and the charger blinks red and then a continuous red led. Nothing else happens.

My dealer in Spain is waiting to hear from Gibson about it, but given the kind of replies I got from them, it doesn't look like this is going to be solved at all, at least not in a timely fashion.

Can someone confirm that the charging process works as described in the manual?

You know, I had mine out today and played it for about 3 hours, then I charged it again today. Yes the 'adapter' had a flashing green light while charging. This time the MCK alternated between the flashing red battery symbol and the green 'meter' reading. But it did charge fully. I think the lights on the MCK were due to the long cable I used tonight. I didn't go upstairs for the short cable. When I charged it the time before the MCK had a steady green battery light and the increasing LEDs to show the charge. I know of one person who was having problems but changed to a short cable and it worked fine for him. How long is the shortest patch cord you are using? The last time I used a 1 ft cable, today I used a 15ft cable. Both times after I unplugged it, I checked and it was showing a full charge.

I played mine today using all the alternate tunings to see if they all worked and they did. I went up the list, played each tuning for a while, retuned, played some more then went to the next tuning. Then I worked my way back up the MCK. Everything worked fine, although every now and then one string would be a little stubborn, but I don't think that any of them took more than 4 strums to tune. It wasn't any one particular tuner either. On one tuning the low E was stubborn, on another it was the B, another it was the G but they all tuned in the end. The only thing I noticed, and I wonder if this is a problem that some people are having. I pulled the tuner buttons out and played with all the strings, but I found some of the tuner buttons would only go all the way back in, when in certain positions. They would all push in some, but a couple of them took some playing with to get fully in. I would push it in, check it, pull it out and turn it a little then push it back in. I had to do this on 3 of the tuners. So I wonder if some of the problems people are having with the tuners 'not tuning at all' have to do with this? The 'stubborn buttons' would push in about half way and then feel stiffer to turn than when pulled out, but they were not fully pushed in. This might give some people the feeling that they were pushed in and engaged when they weren't. I judged if they were pushed in, by looking at the shafts of the buttons rather than by feel alone. However, apart from that, it worked and tuned time after time all afternoon.

Yeah 5 inches should have been no problem. Here is what is written on the power supply;

SWITCH POWER SUPPLY

Model No.: GPSU15U-3

Part No.: FK-SPS-0746

Input: 100-240 V AC 50/60Hz 0.5A

Output: 12V DC 1.2A Max

Then there are the various approval labels and such, like UL. The plug polarity is centre positive and outside negative, and it is made in China. Hope that helps you.

Hi I bought my Robot guitar at Guitar Center in Boston and had it shipped to Spain where I live.... Of course when it came it had everything that was supposed to come with it. Let me tell you, the charging unit has the standar USA plug on it but the charger itself is rated 110 to 220 and 50/60hz... That means you can use it in Europe or the states.... I just put a euro style adapter plug over the USA style plug and it works fine. Gibson must have had in mind that guitar players might play outside of the USA. People do go on tours.... So where ever you are all you need is the plug adapter that works in your area and your all set....

Dave

MyRobot.jpg

Hi Stormy,

Where in Spain are you? I live in Valencia... I am visiting my family now in Boston so I wont be able to get a pic up of my Robot transformer. I go back to Spain on the 7th of Feb. I'll try to get a good foto of the transformer that clearly show the specs some time after the 8th...

Saludos, David

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Many thanks to Raptor for posting the mains adaptor specs. I too live in Europe (England, to be precise) and didn't get a mains adaptor. It's ridiculous, there is no indication of any input specs on the charging module (no voltage, current or polarity). Seriously, Gibson, you need to sort this out. I nearly sent the guitar back until I found this forum post. Luckily I had a mains adaptor lying around that is perfect for the Robot guitar.

I do, however, seem to have a dead D string "powerhead", so maybe I'll have to send it back after all :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Hey guys,

Does anyone know if there will "really" be any upgrades available for those of us who jumped the gun and bought the "ROBOT" or is it just hype?? I wanted to upgrade to the Dark Fire Hardware but now there is a new Dusk Tiger model. Any info about either model "upgrade" would be appreciated.

----Enrico----

Archived