Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird saddle and nut sizes.

jeffguitar

Hi guys. Total frustration trying to find a tusq or bone compensated saddle for the Hummingbird. I took mine off and the measurements are 80 mm long or Roughly 3 14 inches. 18 inch wide and about 11 mm high in the middle. First off, I am shocked that no dealers seem to have a compensated saddle this size because of how many Hummingbirds and Doves are out there. No one has sent theirs in to be sized?

Most saddles I find are only 70 something mm long, rarely 80, and when i did find one that fit all the dimensions, like this one.

http://www.allparts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BS-0246-000&CartID=1

it's not a compensated one.

So, with the thousands and thousands of Hummingbird and Dove models out there, no one sells a bone or tusq compensated saddle to fit these guitars? That's really shocking.

I see where I can send mine in, but that ends up being 25 dollars plus shippping for the saddle alone.. They have many brands already listed, but ni Epiphone acoustics at all, unbelievable.

Any help would be appreciated.

Take your guitar to the best tech you can find and tell them what you want. They'll make it from scratch so that its the perfect fit for YOUR guitar. There are huge variances between to guitars of the same model, you can't really use an off the shelf nut or saddle for guitars like you can other parts. Not if you want it to be RIGHT.

"There are huge variances between to guitars of the same model, you can't really use an off the shelf nut or saddle for guitars like you can other parts."

Then how come Bob Colosi at guitarsaddles.com has several models that he sells and doesn't have to make for each guitar? I have a theory. There are tons and tons of Hummingbirds and Doves out there, maybe more than any model of acoustic guitar. If he makes 30 bucks for each one he makes one for, why would he offer a ready made model and sell it for 6 bucks? He can make a killing having Hummingbird and Dove owners send their saddles in and he makes 30 bucks a pop. Here's the point. I would gladly take a chance at losing the 6 bucks if he would send me a copy of a hummingbird saddle he made for someone else. He could make it a tad bigger and I could finish it until it fits. Why won't he do this? Again, maybe more Hummingbirds and Doves out there than any model of acoustic, and he needs to make saddles for each one individually, that could add up to a lot of money when you refuse to just make a standard saddle based one a one copy and let people take a 6 dollar chance at getting one that would fit, or maybe having to do a little sanding if he makes it a little bigger.

What a bummer.

Archived