Gibson Brands Forums

ES-175 opinions?

jwalin

I'm planning another purchase and would like a Hollow for Jazz and blues. I had a Zephyr Regent a couple of years ago, nice, but wanted a bridge pickup, and someone liked it more that I did, so they paid me more than I did to have it.

Anyone have one and wish to share their opinions? Pics are nice, too!!

I liked the Zephyr better.. but I only use the neck pickup and the zephyr I tried had an amazing acoustic tone..

I was affraid it might be tooo dark tho.

I played an Epi 175 and two Gibson 175s (all new)and in a blind taste test I would choose the epi

Having said that I finally chose an Emp Reg that I put a P90 in the neck.

I don't have an Epi 175 so I can't comment on that but I do have an early 70's Antoria 175 which I like very much. Thing I like better about the 175 against the Zephyr's and the Regent's is that the 175 has the shorter 24 3/4" scale like the Gibson's did. One thing I don't like about Epi 175's is that I think the sunburst is pretty awful.

Here's my Antoria.

ES175.jpg

JG

I have one. It is a well made guitar.

The electronics sucked.

I ripped out the entire harness and puckups and replaced w/ 57 classics, and new pots and wiring. This guitar rivals the more expensive gibsons now in sound and bite.

It sounds great acoustically, and very clean plugged in. The original stock pickups were too muddy for this guitar.

I use .0012 on mine and the sound is full, bright and well defined.

The neck is very smooth.

I don't have an Epi 175 so I can't comment on that but I do have an early 70's Antoria 175 which I like very much. Thing I like better about the 175 against the Zephyr's and the Regent's is that the 175 has the shorter 24 3/4" scale like the Gibson's did. One thing I don't like about Epi 175's is that I think the sunburst is pretty awful.

Here's my Antoria.

ES175.jpg

JG

Whats up with the top around the PU selector switch?

The electronics sucked.

I ripped out the entire harness and puckups and replaced w/ 57 classics' date=' and new pots and wiring. This guitar rivals the more expensive gibsons now in sound and bite.

It sounds great acoustically, and very clean plugged in. The original stock pickups were too muddy for this guitar.

The neck is very smooth.

[/quote']

are your 12's flat or round? I have never tried flats, but am tempted to when I get this guitar. I usually replace the pickups in anything I get, unless they are exceptional.

thanks for your input.

Whats up with the top around the PU selector switch?

There's no problem around the switch. That area is arched and I think that the camera flash has exaggerated it. The cutaway side is also arched and you can see it about 3/4 of the way up and to the right of the scratchplate.

JG

The electronics sucked.

I ripped out the entire harness and puckups and replaced w/ 57 classics' date=' and new pots and wiring. This guitar rivals the more expensive gibsons now in sound and bite.

The neck is very smooth.

[/quote']

I've always loved the Gibson ES-175. Played a couple of them at the Gibson factory

store in Memphis and Nashville. Loved them both, but couldn't afford the steep

asking prices of $4200US for an all natural flame maple version and a cheaper

worn look version at $2800. They were both great guitars and sounded good

with Gibson classic 57s.

Being frugal and not playing professionally, I ended up bidding and landing

two Epi Emperor IIs on fleabay. One was a '95 JP and the other a 91.

The p_ups, controls and switches sucked, so I decide to replace just about all the h/w including the

tuners. They both sound pretty good now with some aftermarket vintage 59s,

better t-o-m bridges and tailpieces. I use .011s -.052s or .012-.054s on them

and to my ears they sound pretty close to an ES-175.

Archived