Gibson Brands Forums

Pickguard and Tremolo Arm

canon_mutant

Only two issues with mine. Per spec, the guitar is supposed to have a tortoise pickguard and mine came with black and the tremolo arm came with a nut that the screw is not long enough to reach. The tremolo deck plate hole is semi-threaded and I don't know if the intent is for those weak threads to hold the arm on or if the screw they sent is just too short. Do you have a nut on the backside of your tremolo deckplate? Bottom line, it ain't stayin' put and it ain't going to even stay on long the way it is. I contacted Gibson but am waiting on a response.

Beyond that, I don't think I've played such a diverse axe before. So many different tones you can get and styles of music you can play. And, though I hate white guitars just like white cars because they're so hard to keep clean, you gotta love the way this guitar looks. I frankly think it may well look better with the black pickguard but I want it to just be technically accurate.

http://www.gibsoncustom.com/print/Alex_Lifeson.pdf

Only two issues with mine. Per spec' date=' the guitar is supposed to have a tortoise pickguard and mine came with black and the tremolo arm came with a nut that the screw is not long enough to reach. The tremolo deck plate hole is semi-threaded and I don't know if the intent is for those weak threads to hold the arm on or if the screw they sent is just too short. Do you have a nut on the backside of your tremolo deckplate? Bottom line, it ain't stayin' put and it ain't going to even stay on long the way it is. I contacted Gibson but am waiting on a response.

Beyond that, I don't think I've played such a diverse axe before. So many different tones you can get and styles of music you can play. And, though I hate white guitars just like white cars because they're so hard to keep clean, you gotta love the way this guitar looks. I frankly think it may well look better with the black pickguard but I want it to just be technically accurate.

http://www.gibsoncustom.com/print/Alex_Lifeson.pdf

[/quote']

Would you let me know if and how you were able to get the correct Pickguard and Trem arm . I call and get

told to go to hell , there is nothing wrong with the 355 . The bragging of how fast the customer service is , well it is fast , but they just do not do anything or seem to know about any issues

Thanks

Would you let me know if and how you were able to get the correct Pickguard and Trem arm . I call and get

told to go to hell ' date=' there is nothing wrong with the 355 . The bragging of how fast the customer service is , well it is fast , but they just do not do anything or seem to know about any issues

Thanks[/quote']

Well my black pickguard has been edicted to be tortoise by its shape, not color so I don't know how to even begin to respond to that. I provided pictures and everything. Though it isn't to spec, I think the black pickguard looks fine so I'm less up in arms over that.

The tremolo arm is different story. Not only will it not stay on/tight the handle is molded on backwards. I'm still waiting on a response on that one. Still an awesome axe though. Been playing it daily. My other toys are feeling neglected!=D>

Well my black pickguard has been edicted to be tortoise by its shape' date=' not color so I don't know how to even begin to respond to that. I provided pictures and everything. =D> [/quote']

You see....we do learn something new everyday. Tortoise is a shape....huh....who would a thunk it!

You see....we do learn something new everyday. Tortoise is a shape....huh....who would a thunk it!

The Custom Shop response on the pickguard. Not sure I want go through the hassle of having it fixed.

Response: "The Custom Shop has indicated that we can replace the pickguard if you are unhappy with it' date=' though we will need to receive the entire pickguard w/ bracket assembly back to the Memphis Custom Shop in order to make you a new one, as they are custom fit to the instrument, and we would need the original for a template to make sure we position the holes properly for the new one. Please let me know if you would like to arrange this, and I will let you know what needs to be done."

They're still looking into the Tremolo arm issue[s'].

I truly love this guitar but these kind of problems shouldn't be there on a $3700 axe. Or, maybe, I just expect too much.

Then again, my Strat was a limited edition run of a Sienna Sunburst with Jeff Beck pups for $1899 that I got for $1099. It was perfect right out of the box. Of course I found the Beck pups to be a little flat for my tastes so it now has an EMG David Gilmour set-up. I love it too! Sorry, off on a tangent . . .

Thanks to another thread, the tremolo handle can just be twisted around 180 so that's fixed. I was afraid it was glued in that position.

Now I've asked Gibson CS for a replacement tremolo deckplate with a better threaded screwhole. If they refuse, I'll just go get an appropriate tap and fix that too.

Still got a "black" tortoise pickguard but it looks OK enough to not ship the guitar back to fix it or remove it and send it back so another custom pickguard that's truly tortoise can be fab'd just more my guitar.

Sure love playin' this thing. I think I'll go do that now :-)

Archived