Gibson Brands Forums

the next 3 months....

Gibson CS

So this post is partially because I need some advice and partially because I'm bored.

So Wednesday I had a guitar lesson as usual, but at the end my teacher told me he was going on tour with his band in Germany, he wont be back till November.

Then yesterday I ran in to him and he informed me that he may move to Oregon in November.

So I'm kinda bummed.

Well until I find a new teacher, what do you recommend I work on?

I know all the chords, minor pentatonic, my teacher was just teaching me songs.

I know your a real member, you have been for some time now.

And I now realize that what I said about the abbreviations was REALLY because the only abbreviation used a lot os LS.

And I wasn't calling you dude, just saying it in general.....nvm.

I've never really tried figuring something out by ear, I should probably work on that, any tips.

the abbreviations

I wasn't calling you dude

Whoa!

Easy!

I was giving you a little jab' date=' completely kidding!

That's why I added the :-) for a smile!

I've never really tried figuring something out by ear' date=' I should probably work on that, any tips. [/quote']

Been doing it for 30 years.

Mostly because I read music on about a Kindergarten level.

I grab the groove first, find the key notes and the pattern (like it was a bass part) and then start expanding to chords.

Once you have a couple chords that work you can confirm it with a scale.

Now you have a box to work within...

My idea behind it is completely different than trying to decide what you WANT to play.

Instead, turn on your favorite radio station and see if you can keep up with whatever comes on.

You'll find a few songs that really pique your interest, you can go back later and learn them right.

Beats the whole "practice" thing all to hell - unless I need to learn a few songs to play with a band.

Been doing it for 30 years.

Mostly because I read music on about a Kindergarten level.

I grab the groove first' date=' find the key notes and the pattern (like it was a bass part) and then start expanding to chords.

Once you have a couple chords that work you can confirm it with a scale.

Now you have a box to work within...

My idea behind it is completely different than trying to decide what you WANT to play.

Instead, turn on your favorite radio station and see if you can keep up with whatever comes on.

You'll find a few songs that really pique your interest, you can go back later and learn them right.

Beats the whole "practice" thing all to hell - unless I need to learn a few songs to play with a band.[/quote']

Killer, I love you guys (in a totally heterosexual way)

South Park is on, so.......

Screw you guys

I'm going hooommme.

Make sure you find a teacher thats going to teach you techniques not just songs.

yeah, that's a good point, I love my current (or former depending on whether he moves or not) but he basically taught me chords, bends, and jumped right into songs.

I know all the chords

Well' date=' if you know all the chords you certainly don't need any more lessons. Somehow in my 30 years of playing I have always found there are more chords out there. You must be incredibly gifted. Maybe you could use your spare time to create a website with ALL the chords, so the rest of us can learn them.

Okay, I got the sarcasm out of the way. Here are a few serious tips:

[b']play in the dark[/b] - like learning to type without looking - a great skill builder

practice bends - most young players can't bend accurately - practice 1/2 and full step bends until they are pitch perfect

vibrato - work on it! It's one of the ways you will sound like yourself

make up some new chords - you don't really know them all!

try alternate tunings - great for getting out of a rut

I agree with Neo but I will elaborate:

Listen to the radio and find songs that you dont like and dont catch your attention at all.

Why?

You will develop something most young guitar players dont have: discipline.

Its easy to play songs you like... after all you have them in your head already (even if subconsciously). But if you plan to join a serious band and gig and get paid for it, or if you want to do studio work, you'll have to learn to be objective and play whatever is needed (either by the person hiring you or the band you're playing with).

As Robert Fripp said countless times, a guitarrist worth is measured by his technique, his knowledge of the instrument and last but by no means least: repertoire.

I first read that 12 years ago and I thought it was a dumb statement (was a metalhead at the time, played only what I liked, and that was easy), but then I started listening to all kinds of music, and trying to play it... that openned a completely new world for me and I think that is when I made real progress.

Well' date=' if you know all the chords you certainly don't need any more lessons. Somehow in my 30 years of playing I have always found there are more chords out there. You must be incredibly gifted. Maybe you could use your spare time to create a website with ALL the chords, so the rest of us can learn them.

Okay, I got the sarcasm out of the way. Here are a few serious tips:

[b']play in the dark[/b] - like learning to type without looking - a great skill builder

practice bends - most young players can't bend accurately - practice 1/2 and full step bends until they are pitch perfect

vibrato - work on it! It's one of the ways you will sound like yourself

make up some new chords - you don't really know them all!

try alternate tunings - great for getting out of a rut

Ho ho ho

aren't you just a regular comedian.....

lol you know what I mean about the chords

Hmm was it you that was having trouble playing while standing up? If so you might want to work on that. You have no idea how cool you'd look to chicks with your head held back, eyes closed and legs apart.

Ear training is a must. Like NeoConMan said u wanna try and play along with the bass parts first. Once you've figured out the key of the song shouldn't be too hard to figure out the chord progression.

Archived