Gibson Brands Forums

Fender Champion 600? tell me what ya know Pleasse

Hey there all, With X mas coming up , i know GC and other online retaliers are going to have there usual sales and what not and I was thinking of buying one of these little guys to convert into a head, I found a guy online that did it and it looks pretty sweet, i think its onlu $150 now, so with what ever discounts Ill prob be able to get one around 120 or so, Soooo what do yall think about this amp, anyone tired it? Likes Dislikes?, remember I will mostly be using it as a head with other cabs, like a 2x12 and a 4x10 cab, heres a pic of what i want to do

Guitars138.jpg

DSCN0729.jpg

Guitars165.jpg

I like the sound of them, but not the stock speaker. it is the weak link. I like this idea also. I am in the middle of doing the same type of thing to my Super Champ XD. I'm gonna run it with a single 12 cabinet loaded with a vintage Altec 417-8c.

My next project amp will either be a Blues Jr. with Billm mods and running JJ 6v6's built into a 4-10 bassman style cabinet, or the same with a Blackheart Handsome Devil.

They're actually kinda muddy, even when run through a more respectable 12" 4ohm speaker load. Swapping the tubes out for JJ's would help, I'm sure. A better OT with multiple output taps would also be a good idea and probably make it sound a whole lot better in the process. Mine, which is still bone stock and gathering dust till I get around to a proper terminal strip rebuild, (if ever) has an annoying hum and the fixed resistor tone stack is eating a lot of potential for gain and the sweet overdriven 6V6 distortion this amp sorely lacks without a boost pedal in front. Mercury's Champion 600 kit expects you to remove that gain sucking tone stack, so they had to include a new Weber speaker to handle the extra gain.

However, the pcb is of pretty decent quality, so there's that in the plus column I suppose. Same with the two-tone tolex. And even though the faux suede speaker grill cloth contributes to the muffled nature of the combo's tone, I gotta admit that it does looks good on that little amp.

Gil...

Archived