Gibson Brands Forums

Difference Between G400 and Vintage G400?

fullmetal_steeb

Guest icantbuyafender

other than the price, a few of the vintage G400's in the early run had binding on the necks.

The finish on the standard is the thick shiny poly finish found on most epiphones. Its very glossy and durable.

The finish on the vintage is a thinner satin coat. Gives a smoother feel and lets your hands glide. Very comfortable in comparison, yet the gloss finished guitars are just as fast so long as you use "finger-ease" or similar string and neck lubricant.

Other than being a bit faster playing, the vintage G400 is also VERY prone to showing minor dings since the finish is not as thick as the gloss finish.

just pick the one that you like best if you can play them both side by side.

Not sure about the recent Vintage G-400s, but the earlier ones also had a one-piece mahogany neck rather than the usual 2-pc with scarf-jointed headstock.

I've got one of the early Vintage models, brown finish. They also polish up really nice and very easily. You end up with a finish that's not as glossy/plasticy looking as the glossy models, but shinier than the stock satin finish. It actually looks more vintage when it's polished!

I've only got one not so good picture online right now...

epi_sg.jpg

Not sure about the recent Vintage G-400s' date=' but the earlier ones also had a one-piece mahogany neck rather than the usual 2-pc with scarf-jointed headstock.

I've got one of the early Vintage models, brown finish. They also polish up really nice and very easily. You end up with a finish that's not as glossy/plasticy looking as the glossy models, but shinier than the stock satin finish. It actually looks more vintage when it's polished!

I've only got one not so good picture online right now...

[img']http://www.visi.com/~sstolle/pics/epi_sg.jpg[/img]

Hey Jack Knife - What exactly did you use to polish yours with and how did you do it? I would like to get a gloss look on my faded but I'm not sure what to use to get it to shine. Did you use any powertools to buff it or did you do it by hand? Is it easy to burn thru the clear? Thanks.

Archived