Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Les Paul Florintine

Rick13175

Hey all,

I purchased a Les Paul Florintine hollow body about five years back mainly because I was smitten with it's good looks. That being said, I don't know too much about the guitar itself other than they haven't made them in several years. The gold hardware is getting quite tarnished. Without taking it apart, I don't know what it has for pickups. My playing ability is somewhere between beginner and beginner-first class. I can always entertain myself and depending on the alcohol involved, I can sometimes entertain others as well. I like a warm blues sound--not much into deep crunch and overdrive. Does anyone know what pickups this guitar most likely has? Is there a recommended set of pickups to install to get the sound I'm looking for or are the one's in it the ticket? Can the hardware be polished or do I need to look for new hardware. Probably stupid questions for most in the know; however, I am a novice in training. Thanks in advance.

Tarnished hardware is an Epi trademark - consider it a "feature". It can be cleaned somewhat, but the plating is thin so any abrasive cleaner will remove the finish altogether.

For hardware you can remove from the guitar, use Goo-Gone Extreme: http://www.magicamerican.com/googone/product/86cf48f0-a3d5-49e1-90ed-5f0a4b7c1eb5.aspx

It's very nasty stuff though (mostly Acetone) - use only in a well-ventilated area, and DO NOT let it anywhere near the finish or any plastic parts.

http://forums.epiphone.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=11494

I'm using a G-dec amp right now and I don't particularly care for it--can't get anything other than a sound that sounds synthesized. As far as posting pictures goes. I'd be happy to however I'll be damn if I can figure out how. I click on insert image and it gives me something that looks like html tagging. If someone would give me a touch of schooling, I'd post the pics. Thanks, Rick

I'd be happy to however I'll be damn if I can figure out how. I click on insert image and it gives me something that looks like html tagging. If someone would give me a touch of schooling' date=' I'd post the pics. Thanks, Rick[/quote']

You have to host them on another site and then link the file to the message. The process is described nicely on the link Midi posted above. I use Photobucket, works oK if you can handle the pop-up ads.

Let's see that thang - It's the one LP I've been really curious to play and perhaps own some day.

Okay folks, I'm giving the image thing a try. My wife has our good camera with her so I had to resort to the old 3.3 underwater camera. Lighting isn't the best unfortunately. I have a factory pic on my work computer and will see about posting it tomorrow--it looks exactly like mine,but much better quality.

pic1h.jpg

pic2po.jpg

pic3a.jpg

pic4o.jpg

Almost forgot--thanks for the instruction on how to post pics. On the subject of amps, I never intended for the Fender GDec to be much more than something to practice a little bit with. I don't like the 'tinney' sound it produces. Haven't been able to get any warm tones from it. That being said, any recommendations on a decent amp, perhaps tube, nicely priced, that will give me some nice blusey sounds? I don't plan on giging with it--not sure my playing will get to that level.

Guest icantbuyafender

Oh my gosh.

That guitar just hit my GAS meter super hard.

That is friggin amazing.

It doesnt have the deep florentine cutaway though... but I still love it.

Guest icantbuyafender
Just took a look at the epi valve senior--very impressive. I'd been looking at the Marshall amps' date=' but I think I like this better. The price is very agreeable as well.[/quote']

A blues custom is all the amp anyone could need!

And you should try a blackheart!

ValveSr.'s are certainly very classy lookin.

You are such a voyeur!!!

But Rick' date=' if you could post a pic or two of the Florentine, you will make many happy!

Sheila[/quote']

Voyeur hell, I'm a full fledged peeping tom!

Better make sure your shade is drawn tight or I'll peep on you too![drool]

Here is a professional picture of the Epi. Mine looks just like this minus a touch of wear and tear and some tarnishing. I just can't create a photo that does it justice. I'm including a link to a site that sells these and other hollow bodies from time to time. I hope it enables someone to pick up a nice guitar. http://exceptionalguitars.com/inventory/index.php?subcat=9

epijb.jpg

Archived